Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Han Nguyen <hn...@us.ibm.com> on 2010/11/04 01:58:16 UTC

Re: Question on Sanselan IccTagType

Hello Charles,
Is it possible to remove the constant and the tag? or somehow work around
them?
Although Sanselan does not process the contents of the ICC profile and
return the raw data as described in the patent, having it the source code
with the comment would impose an obligation to users, and could
potentially cause a hesitation to adopt the library.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Han

From:   Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>
To:     Commons Developers List <de...@commons.apache.org>
Cc:     legal-discuss@apache.org, sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org,
plindner@google.com, Mark D Weitzel/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Han
Nguyen/Charlotte/IBM@IBMUS
Date:   10/13/2010 03:42 PM
Subject:        Re: Question on Sanselan IccTagType

Hi,

   I believe I'm the author of that file.  As I recall, I copied that
comment from the ICC specification.

   One of the features of Sanselan is the ability to do simple parsing
of ICC profiles.  ICC profiles are used for color management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Color_Consortium

   Sanselan parsing unpacks a profile into its member elements, much
of which is contained in a series of "tags."  If code that used
Sanselan were to correctly use information in one of the types of
these tags (the "outputResponseTag"), they might infringe upon a
patent.  Sanselan itself contains no such logic, so it is in no danger
of infringing the patent.  Sanselan merely parses the contents of the
ICC profile and returns the contents as raw data.

   I don't recall writing this code, but I probably included that
comment as a warning to users of the library that they might infringe
a patent if they used the data in this element (tag).

   More details and answers inline below.

>>> 1. What is the patent associated with the comment? who's the patent
>>> holder? and who's the publisher?

The latest copy of the ICC specification can be obtained here.

http://www.color.org/icc_specs2.xalter

There's a number of interesting remarks in the document, such as this
from page xiii:

"""
0.10 Patentstatement
The International Color Consortium (ICC) draws attention to the fact
that it is claimed that compliance with this document may involve the
use of a patent concerning the outputResponseTag, (support of the
outputResponseTag is optional), given in subclause 9.2.27. ICC takes
no position concerning the evidence, validity and scope of this patent
right. Eastman Kodak Company, the holder of this patent right has
assured the ICC that he/she is willing to negotiate licences under
reasonable and non-discriminatory terms and conditions with applicants
throughout the world. In this respect, the statement of the holder of
this patent right is registered with ICC. Information may be obtained
from Eastman Kodak Company, 343 State street, Rochester, NY 14650.
"""

>>> 2. Is there any more information available about this patent claim?

See above.

>>> 3. Is it a comment that related to the ICC spec and not from the
Apache
>>> Sanselan implementation of it?

I'm not sure I understand this question, but this warning is not
specific to Sanselan.

>>> 4. We're using this library in Apache Shindig, and redistribute it,
what
>>> do we need to do in regard of the comment below?

You should be in the clear.

Charles Matthew

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/sanselan/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/sanselan/icc/IccConstants.java?view=log