Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/06/07 16:45:18 UTC

Invalid Version for API key

We are running some tests on upgrading from Kafka 2.10-0.8.2.1 to
2.11-0.10.00.  So far, we only upgraded the server.  All of the clients
that I could verify are still using the Maven kafka-clients version
0.8.2.1.  There are a number of exceptions in the server.log:

[2016-06-07 16:00:00,266] ERROR Closing socket for
172.20.8.19:9092-172.20.3.0:53901 because of error
(kafka.network.Processor)
kafka.network.InvalidRequestException: Error getting request for apiKey: 2
and apiVersion: 1
        at
kafka.network.RequestChannel$Request.liftedTree2$1(RequestChannel.scala:95)
        at
kafka.network.RequestChannel$Request.<init>(RequestChannel.scala:87)
        at
kafka.network.Processor$$anonfun$processCompletedReceives$1.apply(SocketServer.scala:488)
        at
kafka.network.Processor$$anonfun$processCompletedReceives$1.apply(SocketServer.scala:483)
        at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:893)
        at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:1336)
        at
scala.collection.IterableLike$class.foreach(IterableLike.scala:72)
        at scala.collection.AbstractIterable.foreach(Iterable.scala:54)
        at
kafka.network.Processor.processCompletedReceives(SocketServer.scala:483)
        at kafka.network.Processor.run(SocketServer.scala:413)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:785)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version for API key
2: 1
        at
org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.ProtoUtils.schemaFor(ProtoUtils.java:31)
        at
org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.ProtoUtils.requestSchema(ProtoUtils.java:44)
        at
org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.ProtoUtils.parseRequest(ProtoUtils.java:60)
        at
org.apache.kafka.common.requests.ListOffsetRequest.parse(ListOffsetRequest.java:142)
        at
org.apache.kafka.common.requests.AbstractRequest.getRequest(AbstractRequest.java:46)
        at
kafka.network.RequestChannel$Request.liftedTree2$1(RequestChannel.scala:92)
        ... 10 more

Any guidance on what the source of this might be?

Chris

Re: Invalid Version for API key

Posted by Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Will have to get back to you on that, Ismael.  This code is owned by
another team and is in a different code repository.

Chris

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/08/2016 03:22 PM
Subject:        Re: Invalid Version for API key

Great Chris. Out of curiosity, which Kafka client was being used by this
microservice?

Ismael
On 8 Jun 2016 18:54, "Chris Barlock" <ba...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Ismael.  We tracked it down to one of the 11 microservices
running
> on this system.
>
> Thank you, all, who replied to me!
>
> Chris
>

> From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
> To:     users@kafka.apache.org
> Date:   06/08/2016 11:29 AM
> Subject:        Re: Invalid Version for API key
> Sent by:        ismaelj@gmail.com
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> The error includes the IP address of the client:
>
> 172.20.3.0:53901
>
> Would that help identify the client? We are not aware of issues with the
> built-in clients.
>
> Ismael
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> > I think everyone is using the Maven kafka-clients 0.8.2.1 but I can't
be
> > sure since my team does not have control over all the code.  I cannot
> > identify what is triggering these exceptions -- which is why I was
> asking
> > about additional tracing that might add some content around the
> exception
> > to help track this down.
> >
> > Are you aware of any problems with kafka-clients 0.8.2.1 in this area?
> I'm
> > wondering if the problem could be there and that it shows up now
because
> > of the improved error checking you mention.  In this case, Rad's
> > suggestion of upgrading the client code could resolve the issue.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > From:   Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>
> > To:     users@kafka.apache.org
> > Date:   06/08/2016 10:58 AM
> > Subject:        Re: Invalid Version for API key
> >

> > ApiKey 2 is the Offsets request. There is only a version 0 of that
> > protocol
> > since there has been no change in the protocol version for
LIST_OFFSETS

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

From:   Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/08/2016 11:29 AM

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Chris,

From:   Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/08/2016 10:58 AM

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Radoslaw Gruchalski <ra...@gruchalski.com>.
I believe the wire format has changed between 0.8 and 0.9. It might be necessary to update your clients. I'd try that first before doing any further debugging / tracing.

--
Best regards,
Rad

From:   Chris Barlock/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
To:     users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   06/07/2016 12:45 PM
Subject:        Invalid Version for API key

We are running some tests on upgrading from Kafka 2.10-0.8.2.1 to
2.11-0.10.00.  So far, we only upgraded the server.  All of the clients
that I could verify are still using the Maven kafka-clients version
0.8.2.1.  There are a number of exceptions in the server.log:

[2016-06-07 16:00:00,266] ERROR Closing socket for
172.20.8.19:9092-172.20.3.0:53901 because of error
(kafka.network.Processor)
kafka.network.InvalidRequestException: Error getting request for apiKey: 2

and apiVersion: 1
        at
kafka.network.RequestChannel$Request.liftedTree2$1(RequestChannel.scala:95)
        at
kafka.network.RequestChannel$Request.(RequestChannel.scala:87)

Posted by Chris Barlock <ba...@us.ibm.com>.