Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Andrew Stevens <at...@hotmail.com> on 2007/07/19 00:07:31 UTC

Re: Struggling to get Roller 3.1 running on Websphere 6.0 (SOLVED)

Okay, I've managed to get Roller running okay in Websphere 6 (hurrah!), so I thought I'd post to the list about it so it's in the archives next time someone needs to do it.

Firstly, forget about running it in Websphere 5.x.  The application refuses to start; it starts okay if you remove the roller-web.jar, but that's not a very good workaround ;-)  Based on Jeff Chilton's experiences with Roller 0.9.9.2 on Websphere 5 back in October 2004 (described in some articles in WebSpherePower magazine) my suspicions are that it's something to do with the listeners, but I haven't verified that.  Actually, to be fair to IBM, I haven't been able to try it in a fully patched and latest 5.x installation either, only in out-of-the-box 5.0 and 5.1.0, so I suppose there's always a chance it was a Websphere issue that's been fixed in a later fix pack.  But by the time I got that far, I'd got myself a 6.0 to play around with so I just started over with that.

I'll skip over the actual installation of the app into WebSphere and setting up the database server resource; if you've deployed any other app into WebSphere before you should be able to manage this.

The first problem I hit once it was installed was VerifyError messages telling me that the HibernatePersistenceStrategy(String, String) constructor was being passed an incompatile argument; tracing in the debugger confirmed it was being passed two strings, however.  I'm still not entirely sure what the problem was here, but switching the classloader order from PARENT_FIRST to PARENT_LAST fixed it.

Next the RollerContext failed to initialize due to a ClassCastException on com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.jdbc.WSJdbcDataSource.  This was due to jdbc2_0-stdext.jar being present in WEB-INF/lib, conflicting with the app server's own copy of the javax.sql.* classes; it no longer thought the database resource was a DataSource...  So I deleted that jar.

Along with those messages, I was seeing a LinkageError in Struts' ActionServlet.initServlet() method:
"Class org/xml/sax/SAXParseException violates loader constraints: definition mismatch between parent and child loaders"  This was because xmlrpc-1.2-b1.jar includes the SAX 1.0 API classes, and JDK 1.4 includes SAX 2.0.  So I extracted the contents of that jar, deleted the org/xml/sax directory and rebuilt the jar without it.  Why they didn't keep them in a separate jar, I don't know.  Sheesh.

The application then started up okay, but trying to access http://localhost:9080/blogs produced the error

SRVE0232E: Internal Server Error.
Exception Message: [Filter [RequestMappingFilter]: filter is unavailable.]

due to a "StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1" in org.apache.roller.ui.rendering.WeblogRequestMapper.handleRequest (WeblogRequestMapper.java line 115)
Since the line mentioned in the stack trace was

// strip off the leading slash
servlet = servlet.substring(1);

I tried adding a slash to the URL, but http://localhost:9080/roller/ just returned Roller's 404 page.  http://localhost:9080/roller/index.jsp did give the initial "Welcome to Roller!" page, but with only the bare text and no styling.  At this point I realised that at some point while messing with various settings I must have unticked the "File serving" checkbox in the web app deployment descriptor editor; after ticking that, it all started working as expected.  Doh!

After that, everything went more or less okay (well, asides from the odd application bug that I've raised in JIRA) until I tried to edit the server settings; then I got a NoClassDefFoundError for org/w3c/dom/TypeInfo thrown by /WEB-INF/jsps/admin/rollerProperties.jsp
This is because TypeInfo is new to DOM3/JAXP 1.3, and JDK 1.4 only includes JAXP 1.2.  That brings me back to a question I asked previously as to whether or not Roller really needs to be using Xalan 2.7.0 (which is JAXP 1.3) or if an earlier version would do, however, with no answer from the developers (yet?) on that one I assumed it did, and fixed it another way.  I noticed that only the xalan.jar from its 2.7.0 distribution was included in Roller, so I added the rest of the jars from xalan's binaries download (serializer.jar, xercesImpl.jar and xml-apis.jar).  Those include a bundled copy of xerces 2.7.1 and JAXP 1.3, and after restarting again the TypeInfo errors went away.

Since then I've been using it without any further errors showing up, so hopefully that's it (though I haven't tried out every feature yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for luck).

:-)

To finish, a couple of questions/suggestions for the developers:

What JDK is the minimum requirement for the current version of Roller?  I haven't noticed anything definitive on the web site; the closest I've found is that the Installation Guide says it "describes how to install Roller in the following environment ... Java 2 SE 1.4 SDK (or later)".  While that could be interpreted as saying that's the minimum supported version, it doesn't exactly state that to be the case.  However, assuming that  JDK 1.4 or later is now a requirement, why are the SAX 1 and JDBC 2 extension classes then included in the web application when they are included in the JDK?  That's just asking for classloader-related problems on any app server, not just Websphere.  Arguably, the SAX 1 classes are the xmlrpc developers' fault, but perhaps you could take that up with them?

Similarly, what version of Xalan do you actually require?  If it is 2.7.0 (say, because you use the new XPath or DOM3 stuff), then the fact that it ships with Xerces 2.7.1 suggests to me that they need that version or later (and certainly not crimson, 1.4.2's default parser).  Granted Tomcat 5.5.17 includes a later version, but you can't rely on that - 5.5.9 only included Xerces 2.6.2, for example, and other app servers could include anything (WAS has some IBM fork!)  Safest option IMO is to include the whole set of jars, or at least mention the dependency in the installation guide so people can make sure it's met.

Also, something Denis said prompted me to check the Roller jars.  Both roller-web.jar and roller-business.jar contain a copy of the classes from the org.apache.roller.util.rome package, and org.apache.roller.ui.core.plugins.WeblogEntryEditor.  To avoid the possibility of any other classloader "funnies", it would probably be better to only have one copy of those classes in the classpath.

Andrew.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku application

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:41:22 -0400
From: denis@balazuc.net

 >> java.lang.VerifyError: arguments are not type compatible (class:
 >>org/apache/roller/business/hibernate/HibernatePersistenceStrategy
method: (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V)
 >>at pc: 223

I've already seen this happen using Tomcat a while ago while working on
the Spring version.
It's not related to WAS, but it's definitely a classloading order problem.
However I'm surprised it shows in Roller 3.1, so the following may not
be relevant:

The problem happened because I had multiple versions of the *Impl
classes in various roller JAR on my classpath (in Planet and in Roller
JARs), using both Planet and Roller in the same app. Basically, there
was 2 HibernatePersistenceStrategy on the same package with different
constructors, in the classpath.
However, this came while code was moved around in the 4.0 trunk and a
lot of classes got duplicated and slightly modified (last version I
worked with was 54893 so it's quite old if you're looking at today's
trunk) so that's why I'm surprised it'd show in previous versions (can't
be sure about this).

The way I got the problem nailed down was to deploy a flat build (with
classes in WEB-INF/classes), without any Roller/Planet JAR files in
WEB-INF/lib. Also deleting the org.apache.*.planet related classes to
chase down the offending one. If this does fix it, there's definitely a
mismatch between the planet source and the one in the roller source and
the planet one maybe looked up before the roller one is by the
classloader. Note that this cannot be worked around by changing the
classloading policy on WAS (PARENT_FIRST / PARENT_LAST) since all the
involved classes belong to the same webapp.

I don't remember what part of my build I had to fix, however I do know
that I had to totally remove /tools//roller*.jar before
doing a clean build because they were used in the classpath to build
either planet or roller. I modified the build so it doesn't build those
files as it was creating unseen cyclic dependencies with old code.

But again, that was a relatively old build I was tinkering with so that
may not solve the problem.
Still hope this helps.

As for this:

 > [11/07/07 19:23:34:448 BST] 000000b9 RollerContext E
org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext contextInitialized
 > RollerContext initialization failed
 > java.lang.ClassCastException:
com.ibm.ws.rsadapter.jdbc.WSJdbcDataSource
 >     at
org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.upgradeDatabaseIfNeeded(RollerContext.java:374)
 >     at
org.apache.roller.ui.core.RollerContext.contextInitialized(RollerContext.java:168)
 >     at
com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.notifyServletContextCreated(WebApp.java:1434)
 >     at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp.initialize(WebApp.java:411)
 > .

Make sure you don't have any JDBC driver JAR in Roller's WEB-INF/lib
such as "classes12.zip" from Oracle
(see
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?message=13756392&cat=9&thread=95695&treeDisplayType=threadmode1&forum=267#13756392).

And about adding drivers to the WAS server classpath, and more generally
to share JAR among applications in WAS, I recommend using a shared
library reference with your EAR and strongly discourage from adding
custom JAR files to the server's internal LIB directory, which is also
probably unsupported by IBM in case you have support contracts with them.

2 more cents (in CAD)

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.

Very glad you finally got it running!

Andrew Stevens wrote:
 > To finish, a couple of questions/suggestions for the developers:
 >
 > What JDK is the minimum requirement for the current version of
Roller?  I haven't noticed anything definitive on the
 >web site; the closest I've found is that the Installation Guide says
it "describes how to install Roller in the following
 >environment ... Java 2 SE 1.4 SDK (or later)".

I have no problem running Roller 4.0 using JDK 1.6 with Tomcat 5.0.? but
I'm rebuilding Roller from the source.
Tomcat has Xerces-J 2.6.2 (xercesImpl.jar) in its common/endorsed and
that doesn't seem to cause any worry.
I haven't upgraded any other Roller JAR aside from the Spring ones since
I'm happily experimenting with that.

On a WAS related topic, I'm curious to know if someone ever tried Roller
on Websphere 6.1 - which is J2EE 1.4.
I've noticed that by default Websphere 6.1 won't allow JNDI lookups from
a Thread that is not created by WAS itself, so I'm not sure of what's
going to happen with the asynchronous processes in Roller if using the
JNDI datasource and how WAS handles javax.concurrency.* used by Roller.

Any light from anyone on the matter?

Denis

I have succesfully deployed ROLLER 3.1.1 with WAS 6.1, JDK 5.0, DERBY 10.1,
but failed to deploy the same WAR to WAS 6.0.15, JDK 1.4 an get this crazzy
Hibernate-Exception.
Can anyone help or give me a hint, how to work around this problem.
In WAS i used the jndi-name:jdbc/rollerdb as Derby embedded non-XA  JDBC
Provider
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedConnectionPoolDataSource

I tried to changed the hibernate.cfg.xml, but got
org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl <init> Error
initializing Hibernate
                                 java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/apache/roller/business/hibernate/HibernatePersistenceStrategy, method:
<init> signature: (Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)V) Incompatible
argument to method
	at
org.apache.roller.business.hibernate.HibernateRollerImpl.<init>(HibernateRollerImpl.java:74)
---
        <property
name="connection.datasource">java:comp/env/jdbc/rollerdb</property>

         <property
name="hibernate.current_session_context_class">thread</property>
	  <property
name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</property>
	  <property
name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:derby:rollerdb;create=true</property>
	  <property name="hibernate.connection.username">APP</property>
	 <property name="hibernate.connection.password">APP</property>
        <property
name="hibernate.dialect">hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.DerbyDialect</property>

Re: Struggling to get Roller 3.1 running on Websphere 6.0 (SOLVED)

Posted by rocky24 <jn...@yahoo.com>.
I think it is still missing some properties in roller_properties table. Are
you sure you have all the properties, which are defined in
rollerRuntimeConfig.xml inserted into this table?

-rocky

Re: Struggling to get Roller 3.1 running on Websphere 6.0 (SOLVED)

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.
The database is o.k.,because i borrowed it from a funtioning and runnig
Roller-Installation.
I configured WAS with global security local OS.
I can see the front page, can register user, which are saved in the DB.
But i can't login, because the login page
http://localhost:9081/roller/roller-ui/login-redirect.jsp
directs me to http://localhost:9081/roller/roller-ui/yourWebsites.do
withaout previous authetication.
If I call http://localhost:9081/roller/roller-ui/login.do directly i get
http://localhost:9081/roller/roller-ui/j_security_check
witj HTTP 404 ErroCode: File not found, because j_security_check is no page
I trailed the Dirs in the roller.properties, but the same result.
Also my roller.log and Server SystemOut.log don't have errors or Exceptions.
So hpw can I get in

Posted by rocky24 <jn...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.

Posted by fp <Fr...@impaqgroup.com>.