Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mahudeswaran A <ma...@acqueon.com> on 2016/03/23 08:36:22 UTC

tomcat6 -minheap,maxheap size

Hello All,
Is there any recommended maximum setting for tomcat-6 32bit version running on windows 64bit OS
We would like to change the default setting and looking for max size/count for 32bit tomcat-6 running on 64bit windows OS.
Min heap size=?
Max heap size=?
Max Thread count=?

Thanks and regards

Re: tomcat6 -minheap,maxheap size

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

> David,
>
> On 3/23/16 8:02 AM, David kerber wrote:
>> On 3/23/2016 3:36 AM, Mahudeswaran A wrote:
>>> Hello All, Is there any recommended maximum setting for tomcat-6
>>> 32bit version running on windows 64bit OS
>>
>> No, there is not.  It all depends on your app's requirements.  I
>> have applications for which 64MB is plenty, and others which need
>> 1024MB.  I think the max on 32-bit is 2048MB (2GB), but I'm not
>> sure of that.
>
> Something like that, depending upon a few things. I think I wasn't
> able to get above 1520MiB on 32-bit Windows, but that's because of
> some weirdness the OS does with kernel-versus-process address space.
> Evidently, the process can have 32-bit pointers, but reserves *half*
> of that for kernel space. You used to be able to use some kind of boot
> parameter to set that kernel/process split to 3GiB/1GiB... not sure if
> that works anymore. It doesn't matter, though... everyone should be on
> 64-bit, now.
>
> If you are running on a 64-bit OS, it *generally* makes sense to use a
> 64-bit JVM, but I can see lots of reasons to use a 32-bit JVM - if you
> can get away with it - mostly memory-related.

We run 32-bit to simplify installations.  We have several non-java
applications that are still 32-bit, and running 32-bit java lets us get
away with installing only one set of db drivers and ODBC DSNs, which all
applications (both java and non-java) can use.  None of them need 64-bit
java just for memory requirements.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.