Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/21 17:06:04 UTC

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

HBase announced at the last 1.0 release that it would be the last release in that line and I think we would recommend any 1.0 user move up to 1.1 or 1.2 at their earliest convenience. FWIW

Also, as RM of the 0.98 code line I am considering ending its (mostly) regular release cadence at the end of this calendar year. I'd continue if there were expressed user or dev demand but otherwise place it into the same state as 1.0. Also FWIW. I'd be curious to hear how many Phoenix users are using 0.98 versus 1.0 and up, besides the folks at Salesforce, whom I know well (smile). And, more generally, who in greater HBase land is still on 0.98 and won't move off this year.

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Also FWIW. I'd be curious to hear how many Phoenix users are using 0.98
> >> versus 1.0 and up, besides the folks at Salesforce, whom I know well
> >> (smile). And, more generally, who in greater HBase land is still on 0.98
> >> and won't move off this year.
> >>

> <vendor_hat> From our customers perspective, most of the users are 1.1+.
> The ones using 0.98-based HBase releases are not getting the latest Phoenix
> anyway through the vendor channels.

​Thanks Enis, really appreciate the info.​

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

> Also FWIW. I'd be curious to hear how many Phoenix users are using 0.98
>> versus 1.0 and up, besides the folks at Salesforce, whom I know well
>> (smile). And, more generally, who in greater HBase land is still on 0.98
>> and won't move off this year.

<vendor_hat> From our customers perspective, most of the users are 1.1+.
The ones using 0.98-based HBase releases are not getting the latest Phoenix
anyway through the vendor channels.

Enis

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Makes sense to drop the branch for HBase-1.0.x.

I had proposed it here before:
http://search-hadoop.com/m/9UY0h2XrnGW1d3OBF1&subj=+DISCUSS+Drop+branch+for+HBase+1+0+

Enis

Re: new 4.x-HBase-1.1 branch