Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Econopouly <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2000/08/29 19:49:17 UTC

More data on Jakarta Tomcat vs Resin.

Thought this might interest y'all.
I'm stress-testing a couple servlet engines using a servlet I've
written that does real-time push to client applets.  In order to satisfy my
requirements, it has to maintain concurrent open TCP connections (in the
form of HTTP requests that block) to a large number of applets (I've been
testing with 600 - hoping to go even higher).

My tests involve simulating the 600 clients, which all connect to the
servlet, and then generating "events" (once per minute) that are
pushed to all of them.  I then measure how long it takes for the event to be
sent to all the clents.  Using Tomcat3.1, it takes about 3-4s.  Using
Resin1.1, it takes about 1s!  So for this task, Resin is way faster.

But Tomcat is alot more stable than Resin (again, for this task).
Basically, Tomcat runs safely for 40 - 160 hrs.  Resin shuts down after 2 -
6 hours.  Both are running on the same machine - RedHat Linux 6.1 with the
sun jdk1.2.2, both in standalone mode.

http://profiles.msn.com.

Re: More data on Jakarta Tomcat vs Resin.

Posted by Richard Diaz <ri...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the info, it's very valuable!

How does one stress test? Are there applications that can call and execute
JSP pages multiple times? Where can I get that application? I'd like to run
that against my servers.

I too am going to make a servlet that pushes to applets, any help/info on
that would be greatly appreciated!

Rich

http://im.yahoo.com