Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kevin Osborn <os...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/28 21:23:43 UTC

multiple languages in result set

As of Solr 1.3, it looks like my choices for searching in multiple languages are either one language per core or using different fields per language (productTitle_en, productTitle_de, etc.). However, I may want my results back in multiple languages as well. For example, I could search for a term using Norwegian, but want my product title back in Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish.

Does the multi-core solution offer that many advantages over using multiple fields? My other option would be to put my indexed fields in their own core and replicate the stored fields across the cores. Or I could just put the stored data in a database and do lookups for the translations.

Has anyone ever done anything like this where you may need your results returned in multiple languages? It seems odd, but this is for a back-end system, not a consumer-facing system.

Re: multiple languages in result set

Posted by Kevin Osborn <os...@yahoo.com>.
BTW, the search will always be in a single language.