Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Toralf Lund <to...@pgs.com> on 2012/07/13 11:34:29 UTC

Messages to exchange without queues connected?

Hi,

What happens if I send a message to an exchange without any queues
connected to it? Are they just thrown away? I'm assuming that they are,
and that raises another question: Is there any way I can know if a
message I just sent reached a queue, without actually checking queues
directly?

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.

Re: Messages to exchange without queues connected?

Posted by Toralf Lund <to...@pgs.com>.
On 13/07/12 12:33, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 07/13/2012 10:34 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> What happens if I send a message to an exchange without any queues
>> connected to it? Are they just thrown away? I'm assuming that they are,
>> and that raises another question: Is there any way I can know if a
>> message I just sent reached a queue, without actually checking queues
>> directly?
>
> You can define an alternate exchange for the exchange in question. If
> that is defined then messages which could not be routed to a queue
> will be re-routed to the alternate exchange.
>
> That allows you to subscribe and receive such unrouted messages.
Oh, I see.
> Its a little clunky, but it works and fits in well with existing
> clients as all they need to be able to do is subscribe and receive
> messages.
We'll, at least it's better than checking or subscribing to "subscriber"
queues in the publishing application...

> In theory, with AMQP 0-10, by setting the accept-mode on the transfer
> you send, you can instead cause the broker to send back a
> message-reject. However (a) the c++ broker does not implement this[1]
> (not sure about the java broker), and (b) the clients don't in general
> handle the rejects in a useful way.
Fair enough.

Thanks,

- Toralf

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 07/13/2012 10:34 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
> What happens if I send a message to an exchange without any queues
> connected to it? Are they just thrown away? I'm assuming that they are,
> and that raises another question: Is there any way I can know if a
> message I just sent reached a queue, without actually checking queues
> directly?

You can define an alternate exchange for the exchange in question. If
that is defined then messages which could not be routed to a queue will
be re-routed to the alternate exchange.

That allows you to subscribe and receive such unrouted messages. Its a