Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Maruf Aytekin <aa...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/29 16:48:55 UTC

Eear libraries classpath

Hi All

We are creatign an ear as a result artifact of a maven project. In the
ear file we package all libraries with the final names without verison
numbers. Maven creates classpaths for those libraries with the
names+versions.

Example:

We have an EAR package contains Module A and B

Module A  depends on Module B

ModuleA's manifest-mf:

Implementation-Title: Module A
Implementation-Version: 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT
Implementation-Vendor-Id: vendor id
Class-Path: ModuleB-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

ModuleB's manifets mf:

Implementation-Title: Module B
Implementation-Version: 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT
Implementation-Vendor-Id: vendor id

EAR PAckage:
 ---- ModuleA.jar
 ---- ModuleB.jar

Is this a problem; having ModuleB as ModuleB.jar in ear package? Can
ModuleA fsee ModuleB on the classpath?

If the answer is no, how do I addd dependencies to the manifest.mf
classpath without version numbers only with the finalNames?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
Maruf

Re: Eear libraries classpath

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Maruf Aytekin wrote:
> Hi Wayne
>
> Thanks for your response on this.
>

>>> Is this a problem; having ModuleB as ModuleB.jar in ear package? Can
>>> ModuleA fsee ModuleB on the classpath?
>>>
>> When you tested this EAR with your target Java EE app server, what
>> happened? Did things deploy and work properly, or no?
>>

> No this did not work. ModuleA did not see ModuleB untill I rename
> ModuleB jar with the version number.
>

>>> If the answer is no, how do I addd dependencies to the manifest.mf
>>> classpath without version numbers only with the finalNames?
>>>
>> I'd just keep the version numbers everywhere in the first place, and
>> avoid this entire discussion. What possible reason do you have for
>> removing them from some of your dependencies?
>>

> We have an ejb that is a dependency for many other modules which is
> being deployed to weblogic. The reason we would like to name the ejbs
> without version numbers as final name is that they are being deployed
> to various of weblogic instances. We don't want to redeploy each ejbs
> to it's target each time we make a release.
>
> Regards
> Maruf

Why is this a good idea? What are you trtying to accomplish?
If you always want to build the dependent applications with the latest
version then make your common ejb a SNAPSHOT and your builds will always
use the latest version.
If the changes to the ejb do not affect the dependent projects, why make
them?

There is something that you are not telling us that makes it hard to
suggest the "right" way to handle it..

Re: Eear libraries classpath

Posted by Maruf Aytekin <aa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Is this a problem; having ModuleB as ModuleB.jar in ear package? Can
> ModuleA fsee ModuleB on the classpath?

When you tested this EAR with your target Java EE app server, what
happened? Did things deploy and work properly, or no?

> If the answer is no, how do I addd dependencies to the manifest.mf
> classpath without version numbers only with the finalNames?

I'd just keep the version numbers everywhere in the first place, and
avoid this entire discussion. What possible reason do you have for
removing them from some of your dependencies?

Wayne