Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Erik Bengtson <er...@jpox.org> on 2006/09/18 19:41:21 UTC

Preferences Service RDBMS impl

Hi,

I've created a prefs service implementation using JDO / derby and was wondering
if this project would be interested in this form of prefs storage?

Regards,

Erik Bengtson

Re: Preferences Service RDBMS impl

Posted by Erik Bengtson <er...@jpox.org>.
Quoting "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>:
> Some of the issues you describe below are what makes it difficult to
> simply accept contributions into Felix, because we already have
> difficulty finding the time to maintain everything we already have.

I guess that's a common problem among open source projects. For the moment I
won't publish the prefs impl to JPOX CVS since it has IP issues
(Copy/paste classes from the java.util.prefs package from Sun JVM) and has no
docs.

People interested in seeing it can send me a personal email and I forward the
code. The code is Apache licensed :).

Re: Preferences Service RDBMS impl

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Erik,

For me, there is interest in this for Felix possibly, but I was
wondering about the fact that the Directory project was also going to
contribute a prefs service.

We probably need to figure out some criteria for accepting projects as
part of Felix versus just offering community support for them. At a
minimum, I would like to see your bundle and others like it become part
of a Felix community OBR bundle repository.

It may also be possible to make it part of the Felix project, but as I
said we need some guidelines in that area that we currently don't have.
So, don't take some silence as lack of interest, rather it is lack of
time to respond properly. :-)

Some of the issues you describe below are what makes it difficult to
simply accept contributions into Felix, because we already have
difficulty finding the time to maintain everything we already have. No
matter, we definitely want to support community members that develop
bundles, so we will at least do this through our web site and an
official OBR repository...we just need to get it done.

If you have your stuff available to link to, give me the links and I
will at least set up a community bundle page for the time being...

-> richard

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi Felix,

> Since it has not bring much interest, I will probably not release it for the
> moment, however I can send it to you in case you are interested in seeing the
> code or maintaining it.

I am merely interested in seeing the code. I have no background in
JPOX at the moment, so I will probably not be able to really maintain
it :-)

Regards
Felix

Re: Preferences Service RDBMS impl