Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com> on 2003/07/16 16:59:03 UTC

[CROSS POST] RE: current state of XMLDB initiative?

I'm also curious.  Who is currently leading the initiative?  We have an
outstanding bug related to the xmldb implementation regarding threading.
Who is handling this?  It is assigned to Kimbro...so...

-Kevin Ross

Posted by Terry Rosenbaum <Te...@amicas.com>.
This bug (13475) is "assigned" to Kimbro by virtue of the fact that
that's how it ended up by default when I entered it. I think the
"assigned to" gets set to the module owner by default if left
blank. So, nobody is "handling" this issue.

On 6/5/2003, I posted the following message to the xmldb-xupdate list.
The message does not appear in the archives, so I presume it
was never sent to the list by moderator:
In the org.xmldb.xupdate.lexus.commands package, especially in the
CommandConstants class, static variables are used as temporaries,
and for parameter passing between methods.

Example (from CommandConstants.java):

   /**
    * Sets the contextNode which is to be updated and initializes the
objects
    * for each XUpdate operation.
    * @param node the contextNode which is to be updated.
    * @throws IllegalArgumentException if node is null.
    */
   public void setContextNode( Node node ) throws Exception {
       if (node==null) {
           throw new IllegalArgumentException( "context node must not be
null !" );
       }
       _contextNode = node;
              _command = new CommandObject[COMMAND_COUNT];
       _command[0] = new RemoveCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[1] = new RenameCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[2] = new UpdateCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[3] = new VariableCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[4] = new AppendCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[5] = new InsertBeforeCommand( _contextNode );
       _command[6] = new InsertAfterCommand( _contextNode );
   }

In the above, _contextNode is a static.
This case can easily be fixed (use the parameter node
instead of _contextNode when instantiating commands).

The code for processing the "variables"
feature uses the static _contextNode:

Example (from InsertVariable.java):

  /**
    *
    */
   protected NodeList selectNewNodes( String query ) throws Exception {
//long start = System.currentTimeMillis();
       XPathQuery xpath = CommandObject.getXPath();
       xpath.setQString( query );
       XObject xResult = xpath.execute( CommandConstants._contextNode );
       if (xResult.getType()!=XObject.CLASS_NODESET) {
           throw new Exception( "XPath leads not to a Node or NodeList
!" );
       }
       NodeList result = xResult.nodeset();
//long end = System.currentTimeMillis() - start;
//System.err.println("value-of select:"+end);
       return result;
   }

Therefore, until the XMLDB XUpdate implementation
is fixed or replaced, Xindice cannot be condsidered
thread-safe for XUpdate usage.

The problems except for the "variable" problems
can be fixed fairly easily with simple fixes to
the implementation. The fix for the problem
with "variables" seems more difficult since it
might involve changes to the code architecture.

On 9/19/2002, I posted the following message to that
list which does appear in the archive (forwarded by Tom Bradford).
The message received no replies:

From: Terry Rosenbaum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:09:33 PM America/Phoenix
To: xindice-dev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Warning: XUpdate NOT Thread-Safe

Hi,

Just a short warning in case anyone is interested. The xmldb reference
implementation
of xupdate used by Xindice uses static variables for parameter passing
and persistence
of internal state. Therefore, all XUpdate operations should be
considered to be not thread-safe.
Even concurrent executions of xupdates against different collections
within a single
instance of Xindice could encounter problems. If you use xupdate, you
should take steps
to ensure that only a single xupdate operation could ever be underway at
any given moment.

-Terry

So, it appears there is little activity.

If you look at some of the lists other than the "General" one,
(e.g. the XMLDB API list or Xupdate list) there are a smattering
of more recent posts.

-Terry

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 07:59  AM, Kevin Ross wrote:

> I'm also curious.  Who is currently leading the initiative?

If anyone can be considered to be leading it, it would be Lars Martin.
However, I really consider it kind of a ghost effort at this point. The
primary original drivers were Lars and myself. Obviously, my focus is
elsewhere at this point in time so I haven't been spending any time on
it. The mailing lists are still active, but the archives were manually
maintained so they haven't been getting updated due to lack of
resources.

Usually queries about XUpdate will be answered if sent to the list,
they just won't show up in the archive. The maintainer of the Lexus
implementation is an employee of X-Hive and since their product
incorporates it they've been following up on things.

> We have an
> outstanding bug related to the xmldb implementation regarding
> threading.
> Who is handling this?  It is assigned to Kimbro...so...

I'd say I'm not aware of this. :-)

> -Kevin Ross

Kimbro Staken
Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/