Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/07/17 16:34:52 UTC

Jira

So I think I have all the components of the project here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/DMAP/components

Ive added a few more tasks to the list this morning. In particular, I created an Epic to capture the W3C tasks since there will be several:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-49

As for versions, not sure if there is a way to give different components their own versioning scheme. The reason being is that im not sure its going to be practical to keep all the components on the same versioning. Its important to try and track tasks with versions (ie: a roadmap), so maybe we label the version with its component, ex: 1.1 (java-client), 1.1 (data), 1.5 (browsermap)

Re: Jira

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Reza <re...@yahoo.com.invalid>
wrote:

> >> Do we need extra zeros here like 1.1.x or are 2 digits enough?
>
> Depends on how we want to version. So generally the first digit is major,
> the second minor, and the 3rd maintenance. If this goes against a standard,
> please enlighten me :)

I suppose there is more especially those Eberhard mentioned from the .NET
side, but we can probably stick to 3.

> So new features go into minor releases and major features, changes, etc,
> go into a major. Or if we think the product has changed enough to warrant a
> major release, bump up the version.
>
> Ex: 1.1 is a typical feature release, 2.0 is a big release. 1.2.1 is a
> maintenance release for 1.2.
>
> So yes, we can track the full release numbers. Just depends on how we want
> to manage versions.

For JIRA 2 could be enough if everyone is happy, but then the question not
just for BrowserMap is, what we put before the "-SNAPSHOT"?

Until a fully interactive user-driven device data gathering can be rolled
out, changes there would normally be in a maintenance release scale, too.
Either based on user feedback (JIRA) or extra sources like OpenDDR where
that changes on GitHub.

So if device data is updated, the next build would be 1.0.1, should there
be daily or Web Service driven changes, maybe an extra digit was even a
good idea...

Re: Jira

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.

Re: Jira

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
It may not publish anything to "Apache Snapshot" repo as it is set up right
now, but we have a Jenkins that continuously builds trunk of several
projects.

If any of them differs by more than just fixing a typo it should no longer
be called "1.0.0" as it is now, otherwise the content of the JAR or other
files generated would be different from the official 1.0.0 release.

Re: Jira

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Jira

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Jira

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
The document does not seem to use the "-SNAPSHOT" notion, but it's fairly
common at least in the Maven/Gradle universe (not sure about Windows and
.NET, but as Eberhard mentioned before those platforms are not known to be
very Open Source friendly[?])

Werner

Re: Jira

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.