Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Skladovs, Victor" <Sk...@his.de> on 2002/09/02 11:26:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Basic Authorization:Can I protect two directories simultaneously?

Hi to all!

The question to all is: can I protect two directories (in httpd.conf)
simultaneously?
I mean: if I log in for directory /dir1, it will valid also for /dir2, I
will not be promted to authentificate myself for /dir2 anymore.
Is it possible at all?

Thanks for help!
Viktor

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authorization:Can I protect two directories simultaneously?

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ba...@atbusiness.com>.
I think if dir2 is a subdirectory of dir1, then, dir2 wont be further prompted
for authorization.

Bao

--
BAO RuiXian, PROGRAMMER, Project Consulting Team, Software Services Group
AtBusiness Communications Corporation, Kaapeliaukio 1, FIN-00180 Helsinki

Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authorization:Can I protect two directories simultaneously?

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Skladovs, Victor wrote:

> The question to all is: can I protect two directories (in httpd.conf)
> simultaneously?
> I mean: if I log in for directory /dir1, it will valid also for /dir2, I
> will not be promted to authentificate myself for /dir2 anymore.

Actually you will find that the server will ask for a password for dir2 -
but that your browser will, behind the scenes, give your password along
with the request for /dir2.

Generally a browser fill re-use a password entered earlier if a) the site
is still the same and b) the Realm string (AuthName) is the still same.

Most (but not all - MS is most notably broken a bit) browsers will not
prompt you for a passwd for /second if you gave it for /first; but will
ask it for /third.

	<Directory ...../first>
		AuthType basic
		AuthName Foo