Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/05/20 00:37:10 UTC

time for 1.99_14?

We haven't released a new version for almost 2.5 months, it's time to get
1.99_14 out of the door. Especially since we plan to do some restructuring of
the source, to support APR w/o httpd. I'd prefer to have us release a new
version and then it's OK to destabilize the source while we polish the change.

Any committer wants to be the pumpkin for that release? With the ever getting
better RELEASE doc it should be really easy to do that :)

Re: time for 1.99_14?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> I'm working on API tests and docs, so I'm not really touching the code
> most of the time. I can hold on committing those test until after release.

Actually, I do make quite a few changes, so the quicker this release cycle
happens the more granular commits will be.

Re: time for 1.99_14?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>>aim for a candidate on friday?
>>

>>The sooner the better, so we can commit Randy's work sooner. Even today
>>is fine and release on Friday. Though I haven't run smoking for more
>>than a week, so may be we need to do a nightly smoke first.
>

> I don't ordinarily run smoke, so I don't have the setup ready to go. but my
> nightly builds all look ok so I feel confident.

Sorry, I meant nightly builds when referring to smoking. I haven't run t/SMOKE
for a long time too. But nightly builds should be good enough at this stage.

> so, if we can agree on a code freeze until the candidate comes out, and you
> run smoke tonight and report back tomorrow, if all looks ok I'll roll the
> candidate tomorrow.  good?

Just go ahead a roll the candidate whenever you are ready, even now is fine.
Once you roll it we will not commit until after release.

Re: time for 1.99_14?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>> aim for a candidate on friday?
>

> The sooner the better, so we can commit Randy's work sooner. Even today
> is fine and release on Friday. Though I haven't run smoking for more
> than a week, so may be we need to do a nightly smoke first.

I don't ordinarily run smoke, so I don't have the setup ready to go. but my
nightly builds all look ok so I feel confident.

so, if we can agree on a code freeze until the candidate comes out, and you
run smoke tonight and report back tomorrow, if all looks ok I'll roll the
candidate tomorrow.  good?

--Geoff

Re: time for 1.99_14?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>We haven't released a new version for almost 2.5 months, it's time to
>>get 1.99_14 out of the door. Especially since we plan to do some
>>restructuring of the source, to support APR w/o httpd. I'd prefer to
>>have us release a new version and then it's OK to destabilize the source
>>while we polish the change.
>

> good idea.

:)

>>Any committer wants to be the pumpkin for that release? With the ever
>>getting better RELEASE doc it should be really easy to do that :)
>

> sure, I can do that if you want.

Excellent, thanks Geoff!

Re: time for 1.99_14?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> We haven't released a new version for almost 2.5 months, it's time to
> get 1.99_14 out of the door. Especially since we plan to do some
> restructuring of the source, to support APR w/o httpd. I'd prefer to
> have us release a new version and then it's OK to destabilize the source
> while we polish the change.

good idea.

> Any committer wants to be the pumpkin for that release? With the ever
> getting better RELEASE doc it should be really easy to do that :)

sure, I can do that if you want.  aim for a candidate on friday?

--Geoff