Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2007/01/29 17:16:53 UTC

[proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Hi all,

This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.

What do you think?

cheers!

- Leo

----
= summary =

TripleSoup is the simplest thing that you can do to turn your apache
web server into a SPARQL endpoint.

TripleSoup will be an RDF [2] store [3], tooling to work with that
database, and a REST [4] web interface to talk to that database using
SPARQL [5], implemented as an apache webserver module.

{{{
Target:    TLP
Sponsor:   Incubator PMC
Champion:  Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
Mentors:   Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@apache.org>,
            Ben Hyde <bh...@apache.org>,
            Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>,
            Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
Resources: SVN:     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
triplesoup/
            Website: http://incubator.apache.org/triplesoup/
            Jira:    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRIPLES
            Wiki:    http://wiki.apache.org/triplesoup/
            Mailing lists:
                     triplesoup-dev@incubator.apache.org
                     triplesoup-user@incubator.apache.org
                     triplesoup-commits@incubator.apache.org
                     triplesoup-private@incubator.apache.org
             Moderators: leosimons@apache.org
                         stefano@apache.org
                         dreid@apache.org
Initial committers:
            Dave Beckett <da...@dajobe.org>, redland author
            Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@apache.org>,
            Ben Hyde <bh...@apache.org>,
            Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>,
            Andrea Marchesini <ba...@theveniceproject.com>, b store
author
            Alberto Reggiori <al...@asemantics.com>, rdfstore author
            David Reid <dr...@apache.org>,
            Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>
Initial source:     mod_sparql, commercial triple store,
                     existing open source triple store
Known risks:        None
Technologies:       c
Reference:          http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TripleSoupProposal
}}}

= Proposal details =

== Technology (basics) ==

What is RDF? It is just about any kind of data, represented as
triples of
(subject, predicate, object), usually with a rich vocabulary
describing the
semantics of the data (with the vocabulary typically also encoded as
triples).

This data has a representation as RDF/XML as well as using other
formats such
as N3, and a query language SPARQL for searching through it. See [6]
for an
overview.

So if it is just some data in some format, why does it need a special
server? Because RDF data is fundamentally not constrained to a
"file", and
there often is no "resource identifier" that readily identifies
something as a
"document" which can be served up over HTTP.

So why the REST interface? RDF is one of the building blocks proposed
for the
"semantic web", and that's why a system that works well with/over
HTTP is
needed from the start.

== Technology (concrete) ==

This is just an example. Imagine that there is an application
"someapp" on
the host foo.example.com which provides access to information about
books,
and you want to get a list of those books (their URIs) and the names
of the
books.

{{{
$ telnet foo.example.com 80
SELECT /someapp HTTP/1.0
Host: foo.example.com
Query-Language: http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-rdf-sparql-query-20060406/
Accept: application/sparql-results+xml, rdf/xml, rdf/n3

PREFIX books:   <http://example.org/book/>
PREFIX dc:      <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/>
SELECT ?book ?title
WHERE
   { ?book dc:title ?title }

HTTP/1.0 200 Ok

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<sparql
     xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
     xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/sparql-results#">
   <head>
     <variable name="book"/>
     <variable name="title"/>
   </head>
   <results ordered="false" distinct="false">
     <result>
       <binding name="book">
         <uri>http://example.org/book/book6</uri>
       </binding>
       <binding name="title">
         <literal>Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</literal>
       </binding>
     </result>
   </results>
</sparql>

Connection closed by foo.example.com
$
}}}

It turns out there's only one book in the database in this example.
(Sample data taken from http://www.sparql.org/). David Reid has some
code that
does something not unlike this already [7], implemented as a httpd
module,
using the Redland library [11,12] as its backend store.

== What would you use TripleSoup for? ==

* It could be a backend for piggy bank [8].

* It could be a backend for the next version of wikipedia.

* It could be a backend for an "open" version of iTunes or IMDB.

* It could be the backend for the information management system of the
Dutch ministry of water management [9].

* It could be the backend for projects.a.o [10] and similar
applications.

* Most importantly, it could be a backend for dozens of useful new
innovative
projects that no-one has envisioned yet.

== The initial source ==

RDFstore is a standalone RDF storage system implemented as a C
library, licensed
under the ASL 1.1. It has perl bindings. Find its distribution at [15].

mod_sparql [7] is an in-development apache module that implements a
SPARQL
endpoint. It is licensed under the Apache License 2.0. It uses
redland as a
backend. The SVN repository can be found at [7].

B is an in-development storage backend for Redland implemented as a
standalone
C library. It is currently a closed source codebase. A code snapshot
can be
found at [16].

== The initial committers ==

Dirk-Willem, Ben, Stefano, David and Leo are ASF members who
hopefully need no
introduction.

Dave Beckett is the primary author of the Redland RDF application
framework.

Alberto Reggiori is the primary author of rdfstore, an rdf store
developed by
asemantics [13], which will be contributed to TripleSoup. He is a
partner at
asemantics.

Andrea Marchesini is the primary author of B, a storage backend for RDF
developed at Joost [14], which will be contributed to TripleSoup.

All initial committers have experience working on open source
projects. They
work for at least 5 different companies.

== TripleSoup as an apache project ==

We think TripleSoup will have to reference dozens of specifications
from the
W3C (XML, RDF, OWL, SPARQL, their standards for URIs, and more) and
from the
IETF (HTTP, URL, URI, URN, and more), will make use of or integrate
with quite
a few existing open source projects (like the redland RDF libraries
as well as
apache apr&httpd). As such, it seems like TripleSoup should fit in
really well
at apache.

The responses we got from various members of the RDF and semantic web
communities so far when discussing this proposal with them have all been
quite positive, and we expect and hope there'll be quite a few people
new to apache joining the project soon after it starts.

Most importantly, we think this project will be useful, innovative, and
fun!

= References =

{{{
[1] http://incubator.apache.org/
[2] http://www.w3.org/RDF/
[3] these are often called "triple stores"
[4] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/
rest_arch_style.htm
[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/
[6] http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/papers/ac2006.1.pdf
[7] http://david-reid.com/repos/public/mod_sparql/
[8] http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Piggy_Bank
[9] http://www.wadi.nl/uk/
[10] http://projects.apache.org/
[11] http://www.librdf.net/
[12] http://svn.librdf.org/repository/
[13] http://www.asemantics.com/
[14] http://www.joost.com/
[15] http://rdfstore.sourceforge.net/downloads/RDFStore-0.51.tar.gz
[16] http://opensource.joost.com/libb/
}}}

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Jan 30, 2007, at 12:52 PM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> "Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>> I would avoid creating a -user list until it's actually proven
>> necessary.  In the beginning keeping user questions on the dev list
>> makes sense to me.
>
> Me too.  One less mailing list to deal with is always a good thing.

+1!

Even if we tried hard to disregard all "new project templates",
things like this just sneak into the mindset :)

- Leo

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

--
  jaaron

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 on this project. Looks fun.

Paul

On 1/30/07, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>
> > What do you think?
>
> +1
>
> (Full disclosure, I work at Joost, but not on anything related to this
> stuff, I just think it's a neat project.)
>
> One comment on the proposal itself though:
>
> >             Mailing lists:
> >                      triplesoup-dev@incubator.apache.org
> >                      triplesoup-user@incubator.apache.org
> >                      triplesoup-commits@incubator.apache.org
> >                      triplesoup-private@incubator.apache.org
>
> I would avoid creating a -user list until it's actually proven
> necessary.  In the beginning keeping user questions on the dev list
> makes sense to me.
>
> -garrett

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/30/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/29/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>
> > ...This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.
> >
> > What do you think?..
>
> /me thinks: go ahead!

+1 here, too.  I am so excited just imagining storing Dublin Core based
data!

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 1/29/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:

> ...This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.
>
> What do you think?..

/me thinks: go ahead!

-Bertrand

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.
>
> What do you think?

About time! :-)

+1

--
  jaaron

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Jan 30, 2007, at 8:05 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> If there's significant XML processing involved

there'll have to be some eventually! Can't do RDF without RDF/
XML...and can't do SPARQL without sparql result sets...

For now I guess we sort-of plan on just using redland whenever we do
XML, which uses gnome's libxml2 if I'm not mistaken, which I thought
was sort-of the standard XML toolkit for native stuff.

> might I suggest you consider using Axiom/C from Axis2/C?

What kind of processing would we consider it for? How does it relate
to libxml2?

Does it come as a seperate distribution? Where? Is it supported that
way? What about documentation? Are there existing non-WS projects
using it? Does it have backwards compatibility practices and standards?

(Yes yes, I know, ask on the right mailing list :-))

> That's the XML Infoset model we use
> and its fast and works. Plus I'm sure you can help improve it :).

I don't even really know what XML infoset is; scrolling through the
W3C docs it sounds like a document-oriented thing, which RDF isn't!

ciao!

- Leo

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 from me, despite my still sparse understanding of semantic Web stuff.

If there's significant XML processing involved, might I suggest you
consider using Axiom/C from Axis2/C? That's the XML Infoset model we use
and its fast and works. Plus I'm sure you can help improve it :).

Thanks,

Sanjiva.

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
On Jan 29, 2007, at 5:14 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sounds like it's all C
>>
>> Yep, that's the plan for now at least.
>
> will glue for ruby, python etc be in scope...?
>
> - robert

oh! fun!  time will tell, eh?

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Jan 29, 2007, at 9:36 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Will it do anything
>> with either Derby, ApacheDS or JackRabbit, in terms of potential
>> collaboration?
>
> Sounds like it's all C

Yep, that's the plan for now at least.

In "java land", there's two sizeable platforms for doing RDF stuff
already -- jena [2] and sesame [3], so if I were working on one of
the projects listed above (or any other java proejct), I'd probably
try and integrate with those before I'd consider mucking about with C/
java interfaces.

> - an Apache Httpd module so it can't easily utilize these servers
> meant for embedding.

Indeed, at least not easily...the way I'd see integration between
these kind of pieces like these happening is all of them implementing
the same (or compatible) interface on a HTTP level and then having a
federated query system [1] across them.

That said, longer-term, there is a need for a really really really
fast triple store for use from java, and if we get a lot faster than
any java version is ever going to be, maybe all the JNI pain in the
world would still not scare us away :-).

> Perhaps it could use Berkeley DB underneath for an optimized RDF
> tuple store but there might be licensing issues with that tho.

I would guess so, at least for a bdb > 1.85. The current plan (and
initial code donations) involves doing many many things "from
scratch", even if RDFstore does have some bdb support [4].

cheers,

Leo

--
[1] funny, Alberto just sent me this link today:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JanMar/0062.html

Re: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.
>
> Interesting.

Yes I like the idea.

+1

>> What do you think?
>
> Seems as if there are sufficient interests to start it.  Will it do anything
> with either Derby, ApacheDS or JackRabbit, in terms of potential
> collaboration?

Sounds like it's all C - an Apache Httpd module so it can't easily
utilize these servers meant for embedding.  Perhaps it could use
Berkeley DB underneath for an optimized RDF tuple store but there might
be licensing issues with that tho.  I'm gathering this from the issues
we've had with using Berkeley JE.

Regards,
Alex

RE: [proposal] TripleSoup - a SPARQL endpoint for httpd

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> This is a proposal to start a rdf database server project at apache.

Interesting.

> What do you think?

Seems as if there are sufficient interests to start it.  Will it do anything
with either Derby, ApacheDS or JackRabbit, in terms of potential
collaboration?

	--- Noel