Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com> on 2004/12/29 04:11:49 UTC

Tiles and David Geary

David just bloged that he wants to fork tiles to separate Struts
I think Struts deves have been looking for someone to develop Tiles,
like taglibs subproject.

I suggest that DG be invited as a Struts committer in any case; and that
if he wants to make an idenepndet tiles, he be offer resource to create
a sub project of tiles, that works w/o Struts.
Win/Win. Dev has been looking for somone to do tiles.

Since Struts is a top level project it can do this.
.V
--
RiA-SoA w/JDNC <http://www.SandraSF.com> forums
- help develop a community

Re: Tiles and David Geary

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
This depends on the outcome of such a potential fork.  Even if Tiles were to
split off and eventually attain TLP, the guidelines for committership would
likely be very similar if not exactly the same as Struts or Jakarta.

There are several people I would like to name as committers, but they just
haven't contributed enough patches to get through the nomination process
unscathed.  There are reasons that there are criteria for committership.
Most of which, it's more about community and less about getting the really
smart people.

What good does it do to have talent that commits a patch or 2 and then leave
for a year (or longer)?

It's funny to see committers (not just at Struts or even Apache) who think
they have a say, but never participate in the actual community that makes
the product what it is.  I would say "you know who you are", but the people
that immediately come to mind, don't pay attention to this list or, God
forbid, the user list anyway.  Oh well, sorry for bit#hing.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.

Re: Tiles and David Geary

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
As long as it stays at Apache, I will help you in any way you need.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

Thanks to everyone for your support. One way or another, I want to see
Tiles as its own project and I will do everything I can to make that
happen.

david

Re: Tiles and David Geary

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Tiles and David Geary

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tiles and David Geary

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
David already is (well....was) a committer, so all he needs to do is say
"go" and it's done.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.