Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu> on 2007/05/10 22:12:15 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.9 not recognizing deletion of Applet class

Hi,

I have a JApplet class in my $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/mywebapp directory
called applet.NVACApplet. It is part of the applet package. I load this
applet through NVAC.jsp.

I was making some changes to the class and recompiled. However, after
reloading the webapp and making numerous changes, I began to notice the
applet, when I navigated to it at
http://localhost:port/mywebapp/NVAC.jsp was not changing at all. At
first, I figured something was wrong with my Java code. However, that
compiled fine and I was getting no errors at runtime, and the applet was
apparently loading.

Finding this highly unusual, I deleted the entire applet package from
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/mywebapp, as well as the applet package from
WEB-INF/classes. Then, I navigated to $CATALINA_HOME and did a find
command, searching for "NVAC*", and did not find any NVACApplet class
floating around anywhere.

However, when I navigate to the JSP page, it STILL loads the Applet. If
I change the name of the applet it is loading I obviously get a
NoClassDefFoundError, which apparently means it is somehow finding
applet.NVACApplet, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

I've shutdown Tomcat numerous times and rebooted. I've tried everything
I can think of, but I'm completely clueless. Where on earth could it be
finding this applet class? I've deleted every instance of
applet.NVACApplet I could find from my entire computer. Is it storing
the class in some directory somewhere?

Here is the JSP page code, if it helps:

<title>NVAC Polling Controller</title>
<applet code="applet.NVACApplet" width="200" height="100">
Your browser does not support the applet tag.
</applet>
<%
//Service.init();
%>
<%
//out.print(Service.showString());
%>

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Tomcat 6.0.9 not recognizing deletion of Applet class

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/10/07, Daniel Gresh <dg...@lle.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Here is the JSP page code, if it helps:

The problem may be because you're using applet tag within XHTML strict.

The applet tag is not supported in XHTML 1.1 (and was depricated in
HTML 4.01), you are encouraged to upgrade to the object tag or to an
even better jsp:plugin
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/syntax/2.0/syntaxref2023.html#1004158
tag.

Although, upgrading may or may not solve your particular problem, at
least it offers the satisfaction that the code is valid, so that the
browser can process it correctly.

Also check if the applet is being cached somewhere, try deleting the
browsers cache. That may help in solving the problem.

I don't think this problem has anything to do with Tomcat,  for
further help this forum
http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=421

> <title>NVAC Polling Controller</title>
> <applet code="applet.NVACApplet" width="200" height="100">
> Your browser does not support the applet tag.
> </applet>
> <%
> //Service.init();
> %>
> <%
> //out.print(Service.showString());
> %>
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Regards
Rashmi

RE: Tomcat 6.0.9 not recognizing deletion of Applet class

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Daniel Gresh [mailto:dgresh@lle.rochester.edu]
> Subject: Tomcat 6.0.9 not recognizing deletion of Applet class
>
> Is it storing the class in some directory somewhere?

Is it possible your browser - not Tomcat - is caching the applet?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.