Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Lamy <t....@cytainment.de> on 2015/01/07 11:01:29 UTC

leader split-brain at least once a day - need help

Hi there,

we are running a 3 server cloud serving a dozen
single-shard/replicate-everywhere collections. The 2 biggest collections
are ~15M docs, and about 13GiB / 2.5GiB size. Solr is 4.10.2, ZK 3.4.5,
Tomcat 7.0.56, Oracle Java 1.7.0_72-b14

10 of the 12 collections (the small ones) get filled by DIH full-import
once a day starting at 1am. The second biggest collection is updated
usind DIH delta-import every 10 minutes, the biggest one gets bulk json
updates with commits once in 5 minutes.

On a regular basis, we have a leader information mismatch:
org.apache.solr.update.processor.DistributedUpdateProcessor; Request
says it is coming from leader, but we are the leader
or the opposite
org.apache.solr.update.processor.DistributedUpdateProcessor;
ClusterState says we are the leader, but locally we don't think so

One of these pop up once a day at around 8am, making either some cores
going to "recovery failed" state, or all cores of at least one cloud
node into state "gone".
This started out of the blue about 2 weeks ago, without changes to
neither software, data, or client behaviour.

Most of the time, we get things going again by restarting solr on the
current leader node, forcing a new election - can this be triggered
while keeping solr (and the caches) up?
But sometimes this doesn't help, we had an incident last weekend where
our admins didn't restart in time, creating millions of entries in
/solr/oversser/queue, making zk close the connection, and leader
re-elect fails. I had to flush zk, and re-upload collection config to
get solr up again (just like in
https://gist.github.com/isoboroff/424fcdf63fa760c1d1a7).

We have a much bigger cloud (7 servers, ~50GiB Data in 8 collections,
1500 requests/s) up and running, which does not have these problems
since upgrading to 4.10.2.

Any hints on where to look for a solution?

Kind regards
Thomas

--
Thomas Lamy
Cytainment AG & Co KG

Tel.:     +49 (40) 23 706-747
Fax:     +49 (40) 23 706-139
Sitz und Registergericht Hamburg
HRA 98121
HRB 86068
Ust-ID: DE213009476

Re: leader split-brain at least once a day - need help

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/12/2015 5:34 AM, Thomas Lamy wrote:
> I found no big/unusual GC pauses in the Log (at least manually; I
> found no free solution to analyze them that worked out of the box on a
> headless debian wheezy box). Eventually i tried with -Xmx8G (was 64G
> before) on one of the nodes, after checking allocation after 1 hour
> run time was at about 2-3GB. That didn't move the time frame where a
> restart was needed, so I don't think Solr's JVM GC is the problem.
> We're trying to get all of our node's logs (zookeeper and solr) into
> Splunk now, just to get a better sorted view of what's going on in the
> cloud once a problem occurs. We're also enabling GC logging for
> zookeeper; maybe we were missing problems there while focussing on
> solr logs.

If you make a copy of the gc log, you can put it on another system with
a GUI and graph it with this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcviewer

Just double-click on the jar to run the program.  I find it is useful
for clarity on the graph to go to the View menu and uncheck everything
except the two "GC Times" options.  You can also change the zoom to a
lower percentage so you can see more of the graph.

That program is how I got the graph you can see on my wiki page about GC
tuning:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey#GC_Tuning

Another possible problem is that your install is exhausting the thread
pool.  Tomcat defaults to a maxThreads value of only 200.  There's a
good chance that your setup will need more than 200 threads at least
occasionally.  If you're near the limit, having a thread problem once
per day based on index activity seems like a good possibility.  Try
setting maxThreads to 10000 in the Tomcat config.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: leader split-brain at least once a day - need help

Posted by Thomas Lamy <t....@cytainment.de>.
Hi Mark,

we're currently at 4.10.2, update to 4.10.3 ist scheduled for tomorrow.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lamy <t....@cytainment.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@heliosearch.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lamy <t....@cytainment.de>.
Hi Alan,
thanks for the pointer, I'll look at our gc logs

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.

Posted by Ugo Matrangolo <ug...@gmail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

I did not get these split brains (probably our use case is simpler) but we
got the spammed Zk phenomenon.

The easiest way to fix it is to:
1. Shut down all the Solr servers in the failing cluster
2. Connect to zk using its CLI
3. rmr overseer/queue
4. Restart Solr

Think is way faster of the gist you posted.

Ugo