Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/08/15 02:42:01 UTC

Mentor concerns

Hi!

Quickstep community is coming along fine, but,
with my mentor hat on, I still have a few concerns:
  1. The Download button needs to be removed from
  the website until there's a first official release

  2. Website has to have an Incubator disclaimer:
         http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers

   3. I see tons of GitHub commits and yet I see pretty much
   no dev@ list or JIRA traffic. Why is this code being commited?
   Where is it discussed? This all is a mystery to me and I suspect
   anybody else who's not on-site with those who commit.

I'd like to ask that the community quickly takes care of #1 and #2
and comes up with an explanation for #3

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Mentor concerns

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1 what Roman said about dev traffic. It seems to me that features come out of nowhere and I can only surmise that significant discussion is happening back-channel. The dev list should be the “front door” of the project and I think that to would-be contributors it looks pretty tightly shut.

Another instance: I tried to kick off a discussion on the dev list about the future of the project. IIRC, no one chimed in except Jignesh and mentors. That is not what would happen on a project that is being effective in governing itself.

Julian

Re: Mentor concerns

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Harshad Deshmukh <ha...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Hello Roman and Jignesh,
>
> The website is updated with the said changes.
>
> http://quickstep.incubator.apache.org/

Great! Thanks!

Roman.

Re: Mentor concerns

Posted by Harshad Deshmukh <ha...@cs.wisc.edu>.
Hello Roman and Jignesh,

The website is updated with the said changes.

http://quickstep.incubator.apache.org/

On 08/15/2016 11:20 AM, J Patel wrote:
> I'm on vacation - can someone take care of the website? Else, I'll do it on
> Thursday.
>
> I believe we have Jira tickets for all the main features. I'll check when
> I'm back. Agreed would be good to have Jira tickets for visibility to the
> community.
>
> On a related note to perhaps clear some misconception: Some of the changes
> come around when someone sees a problem and is inspired to fix it. I think
> JQs plan visualization is a good example - he did it over a few days on his
> own. I love that feature (I think we all do!), and discovered it when the
> PR showed up. He had a great writeup in his PR (IMHO a good model for all
> of us). Agreed if that didn't have a Jira ticket would be good to get in
> the habit of opening one when inspiration strikes for an idea, and close it
> with the final commit. But please do keep such inspiration driven features
> going! I think no one wants to stop doing that.
>
> And I very much would love for existing folks to take the lead like JQ did!
>

> On Sunday, August 14, 2016, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Quickstep community is coming along fine, but,
>> with my mentor hat on, I still have a few concerns:
>>    1. The Download button needs to be removed from
>>    the website until there's a first official release
>>
>>    2. Website has to have an Incubator disclaimer:
>>           http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
>>
>>     3. I see tons of GitHub commits and yet I see pretty much
>>     no dev@ list or JIRA traffic. Why is this code being commited?
>>     Where is it discussed? This all is a mystery to me and I suspect
>>     anybody else who's not on-site with those who commit.
>>
>> I'd like to ask that the community quickly takes care of #1 and #2
>> and comes up with an explanation for #3
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roman.

Harshad