Posted to user@usergrid.apache.org by Nikolaos Ballas neXus <ni...@nexusgroup.com> on 2015/11/18 13:50:10 UTC

Questions about deployment

Hi guys,
two questions:
1)Why the rest services need to be included are ROOT.war?Anything particular?
2)Why the m2 folder is apparent in the distribution zipped files?Also why instead of using the usual .m2/repository file you want the build to download the debs in the m2 folder inside the project?

kind regards
\n\b

Re: Questions about deployment

Posted by Nikolaos Ballas neXus <ni...@nexusgroup.com>.
Hi,
for the point (1)under tomcat the ROOT is given to something else. The context of the application to be deployed can either be derived by the .war file if not custom context.xml file has been used or use a custom context.xml file. In my case I would prefer to have the context of an application served under it’s own context. For several reasons but that’s out of the scope. I dealt with it no worries just checking why you name the rest part ROOT.war and not usergrid-rest and then if someone wants to deploy it as root to change it accordingly. Again personal flavour.
(2) For the later for me it’s even more worrying that you are touching 3rd party jars.IMHO such actions may jeopardise the stability of a system and the maintenance.

kind regards

On 27 Nov 2015, at 16:00, Dave <sn...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Nikolaos,

Regarding your two questions:

1) Why the rest services need to be included are ROOT.war?Anything particular?

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this question.  The ROOT.war is how we deploy the Usergrid software.  It can be deployed at the ROOT context (e.g. http://example.com<http://example.com/>) or into it's own context (e.g. http://example.com/usergrid).

2) Why the m2 folder is apparent in the distribution zipped files?Also why instead of using the usual .m2/repository file you want the build to download the debs in the m2 folder inside the project?

The m2 folder should not be included in any official Usergrid releases. You can find our official releases here: http://usergrid.apache.org/releases/.  All of the releases that we have made up to this point are source-code only and do not contain any binaries (except images) or jar files.  (we do hope to start creating binary "convenience" releases as soon as we can).

In our Git repo, we do sometimes have to create an m2 local repository for 3rd party jars that we had to modify for use in Usergrid.  For example, we once had to fix a bug in the Astyanax Cassandra client software and so we could not use the official Astyanax release, so we built our own and included in the m2 directory.  This is really a last resort for us, and a problem because we cannot ship jars in our source release and, once we do start creating binary releases, we do not want to ship our own build of any libraries in those binary releases.

Hope that helps...

Dave

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM Nikolaos Ballas neXus <ni...@nexusgroup.com>> wrote:
Hi guys,
two questions:
1)Why the rest services need to be included are ROOT.war?Anything particular?
2)Why the m2 folder is apparent in the distribution zipped files?Also why instead of using the usual .m2/repository file you want the build to download the debs in the m2 folder inside the project?

kind regards
\n\b

Nikolaos Ballas  |  Software Development Manager

Technology Nexus S.a.r.l.
2-4 Rue Eugene Rupert
2453 Luxembourg
Delivery address: 2-3 Rue Eugene Rupert,Vertigo Polaris Building
Tel: + 3522619113580
contact@nexusgroup.com<ma...@nexusgroup.com> | nexusgroup.com<http://www.nexusgroup.com/>
LinkedIn.com<http://www.linkedin.com/company/nexus-technology> | Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/technologynexus> | Facebook.com<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Technology-Nexus/133756470003189>

[cid:87987ACD-6CF7-41BE-9517-E612DBF86ABA@pwcacc.com]