Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/15 19:50:09 UTC

Trouble with Distributed Build

This may be related to the problems with the Agent Groups feature (I
reopened CONTINUUM-2068) but I can't get a build to actually _happen_
on an agent.  When I click 'build now' in the master, I see the
following in the agent's log:

2009-03-15 11:25:11,745 [pool-2-thread-1] ERROR
taskQueueExecutor#prepare-build-agent  - Error executing task
org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.TaskExecutionException: No
project build context
	at org.apache.continuum.buildagent.taskqueue.execution.PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.endPrepareBuild(PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.java:305)
	at org.apache.continuum.buildagent.taskqueue.execution.PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.executeTask(PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.java:127)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:116)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:176)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:528)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

I have minimal configuration -- just the output and working
directories and master url in the agent's config file. (No
installations on either the master or slave, which imo should work,
using the default environment.)

Any ideas?

--
Wendy

Re: Trouble with Distributed Build

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Marica Tan <ct...@exist.com> wrote:

> IMO, the problems with CONTINUUM-2068 have nothing to do with this, since
> those were just jsp bugs.

Thanks for fixing that!

> I was able to build from an agent today  using CONTINUUM-1.3.2-SNAPSHOT
> r754796. Minimal configuration in agent's config file -- output and working
> directories and the master url. No installations and build environments on
> either the master and slave too.
>
> Based on your logs, it means no build context was given to the build agent
> from the master. Could you try building again and see if it still happens?

With that build, I tried it repeatedly and got that same result (stack
trace in the log.)

With the latest (r754809) ... nothing happens.  I added the agent,
which shows as enabled.  I added a project, which I see in the log.
Then I click 'Build all projects'.  Complete silence in the logs,
(both master and agent,) and nothing on the screen.  Same for the
other 'build' icons (to the right of the project, on the group summary
screen, from the build def.)

According to Jan's explanation on the issue for build agent groups,
adding an agent and _not_ putting it in a group should make it
available to a project that's using the default build definition (no
build env, so no agent group).

I'll re-build and re-check everything and post my exact steps, if it
works for you I must be doing something different.

Posted by Marica Tan <ct...@exist.com>.
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be related to the problems with the Agent Groups feature (I
> reopened CONTINUUM-2068) but I can't get a build to actually _happen_
> on an agent.  When I click 'build now' in the master, I see the
> following in the agent's log:
>
> 2009-03-15 11:25:11,745 [pool-2-thread-1] ERROR
> taskQueueExecutor#prepare-build-agent  - Error executing task
> org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.TaskExecutionException: No
> project build context
>        at
> org.apache.continuum.buildagent.taskqueue.execution.PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.endPrepareBuild(PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.java:305)
>        at
> org.apache.continuum.buildagent.taskqueue.execution.PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.executeTask(PrepareBuildProjectsTaskExecutor.java:127)
>        at
> org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable$1.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:116)
>        at
> edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:442)
>        at
> edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:176)
>        at
> edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:987)
>        at
> edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:528)
>
> I have minimal configuration -- just the output and working
> directories and master url in the agent's config file. (No
> installations on either the master or slave, which imo should work,
> using the default environment.)

IMO, the problems with CONTINUUM-2068 have nothing to do with this, since
those were just jsp bugs.

I was able to build from an agent today  using CONTINUUM-1.3.2-SNAPSHOT
r754796. Minimal configuration in agent's config file -- output and working
directories and the master url. No installations and build environments on
either the master and slave too.

Based on your logs, it means no build context was given to the build agent
from the master. Could you try building again and see if it still happens?

Marica