Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Stuart Townhill <st...@townhill.net> on 2003/02/09 12:49:41 UTC

Create Compile Test Sequence?

To anyone who can help,

Now understand how layouts/navigations/screens/actions work for the
functionality of the turbine website and have created the sample app. I
decided to create my own table similar to rdf and create my own screens
(accompanying java files) and action to insert data into my new table
and then display the contents of the table.

The problem is that I tired many different things but with no success, I
took a break and when I came back to try again it suddenly worked, so my
question is what do you have to-do to get your changes acknowledged at
the web front end.

I am guessing it could be because Tomcat was shutdown the restarted?
AND/OR
When altering your screens/actions do you have to delete the equivalent
class files and re-run 'ant init' or just run 'ant-init' and not delete
the old files to get the changes acknowledged?
AND/OR
Does having the MySql shell open at the same time affect the websites in
anyway?

Suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart Townhill.

Re: Create Compile Test Sequence?

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

RE: Create Compile Test Sequence?

Posted by Jeffery Painter <pa...@kiasoft.com>.
also items to note:

If you change your conf schema, do ant project-om to regenerate the base
classes, and ant project-sql to regenerate only the sql source... it's
easier  to go into the generated sql file and just update the tables you
change rather than loosing everything with ant init

project-om will only modify your base classes, so this should not hurt any
changes you've made to your src files.

be sure to do ant compile after project-om to recompile your base classes.

HTH,
Jeff Painter

Posted by Johnny Quazar <qu...@bitblaster.com>.
Go Rick! Go Stuart! You both sound like your minds are being bent
nicely around Turbine :)

Just `ant compile` to make your java source into class files. You
shouldn't have to delete anything. If you add the restart stuff it'll
be about the way you want it.

alias j='cd
{...properPathToYourProject}/WEB-INF/build;/usr/local/ant/bin/ant
compile;cd -'

HTH

At 4:33 PM +0000 2/9/03, Stuart Townhill wrote:
>Rick,
>
>Thanks for that will look into the class reloadable aspect of Tomcat.
>
>What is the best ant command to compile only my changes to my actions
>and screens so I don't affect the databases aspect of the application?
>
>Also when I modify a 'src' file do I need to delete the equivalent class
>file for the change to take place or are all the class files just
>replaced every time you re-compile?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Stuart Townhill.

|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

Re: Create Compile Test Sequence?

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.

On Sunday 09 February 2003 12:49, Stuart Townhill wrote:
[...]
> The problem is that I tired many different things but with no success, I
> took a break and when I came back to try again it suddenly worked, so my
> question is what do you have to-do to get your changes acknowledged at
> the web front end.

check your server.xml in tomcat_home/conf.
if the context of your turbine app has
reloadable="true"
set, you just need to compile your modified classes. if you start tomcat with
bin/catalina.sh run (what i suggest for debugging), you will see that turbine
reloads all modified classes.

> I am guessing it could be because Tomcat was shutdown the restarted?

see above.

> AND/OR
> When altering your screens/actions do you have to delete the equivalent
> class files and re-run 'ant init' or just run 'ant-init' and not delete
> the old files to get the changes acknowledged?

_don't_ do that if you just changed some screens. this task will drop all of
your tables!
also, the ant init is for the torque objects, as far as i can tell, it does
not affect turbine directly (of course, if your torque objects change,
turbine is affected).

> AND/OR
> Does having the MySql shell open at the same time affect the websites in
> anyway?

i doubt that.

so far, i've just built one app with turbine, but the reloading of changed
java classes never was a problem. are you sure that the html-pages are not in
your browser cache?

rick

- --
|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| ein windows switcher tagebuch:
| http://forum.subnet.at/viewforum.php?f=22
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-