Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/31 17:51:51 UTC

Maven & Log4j

Hi,

As part of testing Maven (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/) with
various Jakarta projects I took a first stab at generating the
documentation for log4j with Maven. The results are here:

http://24.157.133.102/log4j/

I need to fix the logo and Ceki I apologize for the appearance of your
name I need to fix something in the xml mechanism. But you can see that
there a lot of documents that Maven produces so that you don't have to
bother with much other then your project specific documentation. There
is a Maven Documentation section on the bottom left where all the Maven
generated docs live.

At any rate, a maven build system can exist in parallel with what you
currently have and I would be glad to work with the log4j group to move
toward a maven-based system if you are interested. I'm interested
because I use log4j heavily and would like to try to help the whole
log4j development process with Maven if I can.

Take a peek and see what you think. We are going through a beta phase so
things are changing fast but we have shielded Maven users from these
changes by providing an update mechanism that will transform the
project.xml (primary input used by Maven) to newer forms and add
anything new to your build structure if it is required by new versions
of Maven.

I would love any feedback!

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Remote configuration

Posted by Sebastien Chassande-Barrioz <se...@inrialpes.fr>.
Hi,

I am interested to configure log4j in a virtual machine. For example I
would like via a servlet, change the logging level of some logger. Do
you know if there are people which work on this subject ?

regards,
Seb
--
Chassande-Barrioz Sebastien
INRIALPES - SIRAC/SARDES Team - ObjectWeb initiative

Re: Maven & Log4j

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Hi Jason,

At 10:51 31.03.2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>As part of testing Maven (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/) with
>various Jakarta projects I took a first stab at generating the
>documentation for log4j with Maven. The results are here:
>
>http://24.157.133.102/log4j/

I very much like the new look.

>I need to fix the logo and Ceki I apologize for the appearance of your
>name I need to fix something in the xml mechanism. But you can see that
>there a lot of documents that Maven produces so that you don't have to
>bother with much other then your project specific documentation. There
>is a Maven Documentation section on the bottom left where all the Maven
>generated docs live.

No problem regarding the appearance of my name. My name is already a test
case for the existing anakia-based system for building the jakarta web site. I
guess it is better to be a test case rather than a basket case.

You are surely aware that the generated docs are incomplete but
obviously that could be corrected.

>At any rate, a maven build system can exist in parallel with what you
>currently have and I would be glad to work with the log4j group to move
>toward a maven-based system if you are interested. I'm interested
>because I use log4j heavily and would like to try to help the whole
>log4j development process with Maven if I can.

In principle, I am favorable to move the  log4j site to Maven.  As I
explained in
our previous exchange, given the upcoming log4j 1.2 release in the next few
weeks
I do not  have time to spare on non critical items. However, perhaps some
other
log4j developer might rise to the challenge.  Whoever that person is, he
(as far
as I know we do not have female developers)  would be lucky to work with
you.

--
Ceki
My link of the month: http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/standardization/