Posted to users@maven.apache.org by franz see <fr...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/14 12:02:22 UTC

Re: [m2] Maven from command-line only?

Good day,

Personally, I still use maven in the command line, and Eclipse as an editor.

What I do is that
1. I go to the directory of my maven project
2. Do mvn "eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse" ( "eclipse:clean" is to make sure
I start with a clean slate )
3. Then create the eclipse project from an existing source ( where the
source is the the directory in #1 ).

As for the commands, you can do "mvn --help" to see the options available.
Other than that, you can enter either a goal or a lifecycle phase ( see [1]
about their difference ). But for beginners, executing maven commands based
on lifecycle phases are usually enough.

Cheers,
Franz

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html
( official version )
[2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/introduction-to-the-lifecycle
( wiki'd version )

Re: [m2] AW: Maven from command-line only?

Posted by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com>.
Yes that sounds useful, from where could I obtain that plugin?

Thanks.

AW: [m2] Maven from command-line only?

Posted by Thorsten Vogel <tv...@web.de>.

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day,

As for the first question, please refer to Wayne's answer.

As for the second one, - Yes. I edit the pom.xml file just like a regular
xml file. For more info, kindly see [1].

And as for the third one, please refer to nico's answer.

Cheers,
Franz

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/2.0.4/maven-model/maven.html

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@gmail.com>.
I'm using this in my pom.xml :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

This gives me validation and auto-complete from eclipse (with WTP)

Nico.

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
What I do which I find very helpful is the following:

<project name="MyProject" default="package">
    <property environment="env"/>
    <property file="build.properties"/>
    <property name="project.dir" location="."/>
    <property name="mvn" value="${env.MAVEN_HOME}\bin\mvn.bat"/>

    <!-- Feel free to remove the test.skip -->
    <property name="test.skip" value="true"/>

    <target name="mvn">
        <exec dir="${project.dir}" executable="${mvn}">
            <arg line="-Dmaven.test.skip=${test.skip} ${goal}"/>
        </exec>
    </target>

    <target name="clean">
        <antcall target="mvn">
            <param name="goal" value="clean"/>
        </antcall>
    </target>

    <target name="process-resources">
      <antcall target="mvn">
        <param name="goal" value="process-resources"/>
       </antcall>
    </target>

    <target name="compile">
        <antcall target="mvn">
            <param name="goal" value="compile"/>
        </antcall>
    </target>

    <target name="package">
        <antcall target="mvn">
            <param name="goal" value="package"/>
        </antcall>
    </target>

    <target name="install">
        <antcall target="mvn">
            <param name="goal" value="install"/>
        </antcall>
    </target>
</project>

Copy this build file to the Ant View and just double click for one touch
builds.  I don't know if this is "best practices" but I find it much better
than using the External Tool stuff in Eclipse.  You can also do quick
deploys since you don't have to startup the whole Maven build engine (i.e.
just simple Ant copies of EARs and WARs etc.).

-aps

On 2/14/07, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't use Eclipse much of the time so I'm probably not the right
> person to ask. I switch between Eclipse, Netbeans, Idea, and other
> tools depending on what I'm doing.
>
> Rather than rely on IDE plugins, I just use Maven from the command
> line. I'd suggest you just plan to get used to the command line rather
> than worrying about Eclipse plugins too much.
>
> Wayne
>
> On 2/14/07, lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oh wow, that sounds handy.
> >
> > Now is there an Eclipse plugin you could recommend that does that all
> from
> > within Eclipse? Currently I do nearly all development within Eclipse,
> and
> > I'd strongly prefer not to have to jump back and forth from command-line
> > outside Eclipse to a GUI within it...I prefer the latter.
> >
> > Maybe some of you could describe your experiences with the maven Eclipse
> > plugins and whether they're a convenience...(maybe recommend what you
> use?)
> >
> > Thanks?
> >

> > Wayne Fay wrote:
> > >
> > > For Maven to work, you need the dependencies set up properly in your
> > > pom.xml file.
> > >
> > > For Eclipse to work, you need the build path set up properly in your
> > > .classpath file.
> > >
> > > The Maven Eclipse plugin simply writes out an Eclipse .classpath file
> > > from the dependencies listed in your Maven pom.xml, so you really only
> > > need to manage the dependencies in one place, and generate the other.
> > >
> > > Wayne

> "Build
> are

> pom.xml,

> an

> make
> the

> see

> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html
> > >> >

> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/introduction-to-the-lifecycle

> and
> does
> for

> simplify

> best...some

"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us is of little concern to
what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: [m2] Maven from command-line only?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
Eclipse defines certain dependencies in its plugin framework as classpath
containers variables (see Eclipse doc).  Basically what the Eclipse plugin
does (and you can verify by looking at your .classpath file of your project)
is create a dynamic classpath container that is connected to your
pom.xmlfile in your project.  It reads the dependency section in the
POM and
updates the classpath container variable which encapsulates all the
dependencies (JARs in your maven2 repor, etc.).

-aps

Posted by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
Yea I use it as well for exactly that (classpath container variable).  Works
great!

-aps

Posted by Thierry Lach <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by lightbulb432 <ve...@hotmail.com>.