Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org> on 2004/03/30 20:15:00 UTC

[proposal] Using Forrest to generate docu

Hi all,

I would propose to change the tool for web-site/documentation
generation. Currently Thomas use Maven to the job, but Maven is hard to
handle and has less documentation. Further on Maven corrupt (or we do
something wrong) some of the html-sites, e.g. see
http://db.apache.org/ojb/query.html#report%20queries

Yesterday I had a first look on Forrest (latest from SVN). It's really
impressing, many things will be handled automatic. Forrest generates an
side-summary (index) at the beginning of each page (currently we do this
by hand), an pdf-file for each site (I think one big pdf for the whole
web-site was currently not supported), checks for broken links, ...

I don't have experience in other documentation frameworks, so I can't do
comparisons, anyway it looks fine.

What do you think?

regads,
Armin

Re: [proposal] Using Forrest to generate docu

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Armin Waibel dijo:
> Hi all,
>
> I would propose to change the tool for web-site/documentation
> generation. Currently Thomas use Maven to the job, but Maven is hard to
> handle and has less documentation. Further on Maven corrupt (or we do
> something wrong) some of the html-sites, e.g. see
> http://db.apache.org/ojb/query.html#report%20queries
>
> Yesterday I had a first look on Forrest (latest from SVN). It's really
> impressing, many things will be handled automatic. Forrest generates an
> side-summary (index) at the beginning of each page (currently we do this
> by hand), an pdf-file for each site (I think one big pdf for the whole
> web-site was currently not supported), checks for broken links, ...
>
> I don't have experience in other documentation frameworks, so I can't do
> comparisons, anyway it looks fine.
>
> What do you think?

I full +1 Just a warning: Forrest is addictive (Once you start, you cannot
stop using it) :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [proposal] Using Forrest to generate docu

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>.
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Brian McCallister wrote:

> +1
>
> We may want to rethink how we do the front page as well -- maybe put
> news etc first so people don't think it is not active!

+1 concerning Forest

When 1.0 is out, perhaps we also could change the page in two ways:

* split documentation into 1.0 branch, and development (CVS) -
e.g. like Torque does (http://db.apache.org/torque)

* put news etc. on the front page, e.g. http://www.wxwidgets.org

Tom

Re: [proposal] Using Forrest to generate docu

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
+1

We may want to rethink how we do the front page as well -- maybe put
news etc first so people don't think it is not active!

-Brian