Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2009/08/04 16:16:09 UTC

QPID-2028 : Broker test clean up and NullApplicationRegistry

Just a quick heads up that as part of this work I want to move teh
NullApplicationRegistry from the main broker package to the test
package. The NAR will never be used in normal operation as we use the
ConfigurationFileAR. The NAR is only used for testing.

This move would of course highlight that in the test package we
already have a TestApplicationRegistry. Ideally both of these test ARs
should be removed and we should only use the ConfigurationFileAR.

The affects for Java developers is that if you have your IDE set up to
maintain the same dependencies the build system has then you will need
to update your Management Eclipse package to include the broker/test
package as this creates an ApplicationRegistry with the NAR.

If anyone has any objects to me moving this AR then let me know.

I plan to commit this change later this week.

Regards

Martin

--
Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QPID-2028 : Broker test clean up and NullApplicationRegistry

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/8/4 Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>:
> Martin Ritchie wrote:
>>
>> Just a quick heads up that as part of this work I want to move teh
>> NullApplicationRegistry from the main broker package to the test
>> package. The NAR will never be used in normal operation as we use the
>> ConfigurationFileAR. The NAR is only used for testing.
>>
>> This move would of course highlight that in the test package we
>> already have a TestApplicationRegistry. Ideally both of these test ARs
>> should be removed and we should only use the ConfigurationFileAR.
>>
>> The affects for Java developers is that if you have your IDE set up to
>> maintain the same dependencies the build system has then you will need
>> to update your Management Eclipse package to include the broker/test
>> package as this creates an ApplicationRegistry with the NAR.
>
> Are you saying that the management/eclipse-plugin module will now depend on
> broker/test?

The desired changed would be to add broker/test to the test dependencies:
    <property name="module.test.depends" value="broker/test" />
So only the modules tests would depend on the broker/test package.
Currently it depends on the test logic of the NullApplicationRegistry
which really should be removed and is only used by test code, even
though it lives in the broker/main package.

Having the management/eclipse-plugin use a proper ConfigurationFileAR
would perhaps be the best way to proceed especially as it further
reduces our use of the NAR.

What were your thoughts on the change?

Cheers

Martin

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Martin Ritchie<ri...@apache.org> wrote:

> The affects for Java developers is that if you have your IDE set up to
> maintain the same dependencies the build system has then you will need
> to update your Management Eclipse package to include the broker/test
> package as this creates an ApplicationRegistry with the NAR.

If you do this can you please be sure to update the "how to setup your
IDE" instructions?

Thanks,

- Aidan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org