Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alessandro Bottoni <al...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/10 09:54:27 UTC

What about the EWDT book?

Hello All,
I'm studying Tapestry 5 and using it for a new project. I have already
bought and read from cover to cover this fine book by Alexander Kolesnikov:

http://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Applications-step-step-developer-friendly/dp/1847193072/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260433982&sr=1-3

Now, I'm curious about this other book:

http://www.amazon.com/Enjoying-Web-Development-Tapestry-Tong/dp/1411649133/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Everybody seems to love it despite the fact that it deals with Tapestry
4 /only/. This is quite strange, given that T5 has a completely new code
base and this should have made obsolete any document regarding the old
version.

Hence, I would be happy to hear your opinion about it. Is this book
still worth its money (around 40US$), at the end of 2009, despite the
fact that it was published in 2006/2007 (2nd and 3rd editions) and
describes an old and maybe obsolete version of the framework?

Is the difference between T4 and T5 so great to make this book useless?

TIA

PS: Should Mr. Ka Iok 'Kent' Tong (the author of this book) be on this
list, can he please let us know if he plan to release a forth edition of
his fine book, devoted to Tapestry 5?
--

Alessandro Bottoni
Website: http://www.alessandrobottoni.it/

"I am prepared for the worst, but hope the best."
     -- Benjamin Disraeli

Re: What about the EWDT book?

Posted by Boban Stojanovski <bo...@gmail.com>.
There is a new book about tapestry5 by Igor Drobiazko , its in german , but
i think it will get translated to english.
( source :
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tapestry.apache.org/msg40439.html)
Its a more indepth look at building web apps with tapestry5  spring and
hibernate.
Somethnig the book by Alexander Kolesnikov was missing , although that is
great book and can get u started with tapestry quickly.

Boban Stojanovski
PMF - Institute of informatics , Skopje

Re: Validators / Translators question

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:50:31 -0200, Jim O'Callaghan
<jc...@yahoo.co.uk> escreveu:

> Thanks Thiago.  I'm using the example at the link you specified, but
> found I needed to provide validators and translators to complete the
> approach, esp. the translator being missing / not bound was causing a
> NPE somewhere along the line.

The viewing block is just for viewing (Grid and BeanDisplay, no affecting
how you edit the values.

If your address field is only used in one Grid, you could just override
the viewing block for it using <p:addressCell> inside the Grid.

> I can update the block to display the fields (sub fields in ex. Address)
> but was wondering more about how the value is translated from what is
> posted back into an Address object - is that not what the Translator
> would do?  I'm probably missing something obvious here ...

I can see two approaches:

1) Create an edition block for Address that has one TextField for each of
its parts.
2) Create an edition block for Address that isn't really used. It would be
there just to make Tapestry not complain about the lack of an edition
block.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

RE: Validators / Translators question

Posted by Jim O'Callaghan <jc...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Thanks Thiago.  I'm using the example at the link you specified, but found I
needed to provide validators and translators to complete the approach, esp.
the translator being missing / not bound was causing a NPE somewhere along
the line.  I can update the block to display the fields (sub fields in ex.
Address) but was wondering more about how the value is translated from what
is posted back into an Address object - is that not what the Translator
would do?  I'm probably missing something obvious here ...

Regards,
Jim.

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim O'Callaghan <jc...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi,

I'm trying to simplify some pages using the Grid display for search results
and the BEF for input and want to find out if Validators / Translators are
intended to only operate on individual fields, or if the approach can be
used as a pattern to validate and display multiple fields within a single
translator - an example would be a Client entity that contains an Address
entity - I want to be able to throw the Client at a Grid or BEF and have
something render a multi-line address along with the other fields from the
Client - is it an incorrect approach to used Validators / Translators in
this scenario and if so can anyone advise on how to abstract and reuse an
embedded Address rendering approach?

Many thanks,
Jim.

Re: What about the EWDT book?