Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2007/05/07 21:22:51 UTC

[Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.

I am not going to say much specific about how long
he has been around or what his qualities are.

You each need to make up your own mind. Please cast your votes.
The voting period will end a week from today.

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2007&month=05&day=15

salu2

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.

+1

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.

+1

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Kurt is up in heaven now.

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: [Vote-Summary] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 21:22 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.
>
> I counted 4 +1
>
> => the vote has passed.

Woo hoo!

Thanks, everybody

> Welcome, Bob, as an apache lenya committer. Please fax your signed CLA
> as per the instructions at
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>
> and please let us know what your desired login is (with some
> alternatives, in case your first choice is taken)

bobharner, or bharner

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.
>
> I am not going to say much specific about how long
> he has been around or what his qualities are.
>
> You each need to make up your own mind. Please cast your votes.
> The voting period will end a week from today.
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?year=2007&month=05&day=15
>
> salu2

+1

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 12:29 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >Isn't it so much easier to criticize people, then actually doing some
> >work?

> And I am not weighting how much have other people been done or doing,
> because most of it is voluntarily resp. depends on what position you are
> in (for instance PMC chair has some responsibilities, but it's voluntary
> to be PMC chair) and I also don't think it's very healthy for the
> relationship of this community to compare each other.

Nice to see that you finally changed your mind regarding this matter. I
can remember threads as http://marc.info/?t=113863779500003&r=1&w=2 on
dev and a lot on private where you did compare (even asked people to
step down from certain roles).

> For instance Andreas and Joern spend a lot of time code-wise, but I
> would never say that Jann or you are worse because you spend less time
> code-wise.

Didn't you just said you do not want to compare? So why are you doing it
now? Scary!
> >>why do you think these questions are rude? I don't think so.
> >Yeah and in the end that is the only thing that count, your own opinion,
> >isn't it?

> But my question was, why do you think my questions are rude?

If you would spend more time reading answers carefully instead directly
replying, you see the answer already addressed in the original mail from
Jörn:
- pick out single lines of other people's postings
- generalize statements that were never meant as such
- rhetorical questions that sometimes border on hostile yet seldom convey a palpable personal standpoint

> So far, I just get the impression, that you cannot answer my questions,

Frankly no one can! See above (and further down) for the answer given
already to you, but if you do not get the answer that you like to hear,
you keep on asking the same question over and over again. Like a child
in the car asking every 5 min whether they reached the final
destination.

> maybe because you did something wrong, or didn't really think about your
> actions, or whatever.

Symptomatically you exclude an error by yourself. So it must be me,
right? BTW what have my actions to do in this context?

> >>Have you seen an answer from Thorsten lately why he is considering Alfresco?
> >
> >On 2007-04-27 23:02:22 I wrote:
> >"...I am ATM evaluating different CMS for my current client and one of
> >them is Alfresco. ..."
> >Using this sentence to state I am considering Alfresco, is FUD!
>
> I was just asking if you could post a summary of your findings such that
> we can learn something from.

No, the above clearly ask why I consider Alfresco (implying that I do).

> >The Spanish government (which is my client) is evaluating around 10
> >different CMS (like Plone, Alfresco, Liferay, Daisy, Magnolia, ...). The
> >evaluation is not meet to be published on a public mailing list and is
> >very specific for different public organizations here in Spain.
> sounds great. Maybe you can post a summary of the outcome of this
> evaluation.

The above paragraph clearly states that I cannot and further explain
that even if I can, it would be from very little value for lenya since
it is highly use case specific. Like said I did not give the answer you
like to hear so you go on and on and on...

> I think every help is appreciated, doesn't matter how big it is.

My words, nice that we have this in common.

> > Are you not aware that I am as well active
> >on other Apache projects?
> But as said I don't think it's healthy for this community to compare
> each other on voluntary work.
>
> I also got three children and salaries to pay and spend time on Open
> Source projects such as Yanel, Yulup, Open Development Initiative,
> Nutch/Lucene, OSCOM and Lenya but that's my problem and I won't make it
> a problem  of this community.

I asked a question, didn't I? Did I compare anything or anyone? Did I
made my involvement or my private life a problem of this community? It
is sentence like this that explicitly imply I did, why are you saying
it? To offend? Out of carelessly?

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 16:23 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> you (and Thorsten and Gregor) are not able to differentiate between
> my
> statements/questions and the feelings you have towards myself.

Let me assure you, I do not have any feelings (nor hard nor warm) toward
your person. Why should I? I just do not like the way you ignore
statements from others, offending them to provoke a reaction. Maybe you
are the one that cannot differentiate?

salu2

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Comiotto Thomas wrote:

>> I am not comparing. I was asking you for a summary re your findings
>> re Alfresco.
>> I guess Thomas was comparing ;-) but he might want to answer this
>> himself, because I really cannot speak for him.
>>

> No I wasn't. I simply asked you for some 1.6 roadmap input - based on
> your current work. No offense intended.

Thanks for clarifying

Michael

> Cheers
> Thomas

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Comiotto Thomas <th...@unicom.unizh.ch>.

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
I think there is plenty to argue again, but I am afraid this thread is
being endless and hence I want to stop it
at least from my side and will go change diapers of our youngest ;-)

Cheers

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> am i losing list mails or are you guys constantly moving private
> discussions to this list?
>
> thomas mail ("Re: FUD") came totally out of the blue, and now i was just
> off to grab a cup of tea and all of a sudden people were discussing
> george bush...?!
>
> until now, i have 4 mails in the FUD thread (thomas, mich, andreas,
> michi), and two of them quoted mails i had not seen.
>
> to make sure it's not a problem with my mail setup, has anyone got
> more mails?

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel

resp.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.devel/20000

HTH

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>Michi,
>
>since you're asking us to point out what we don't like about your
>style of arguing, I will try to express my feelings about some
>of your statements. Sorry that I'm citing only selected paragraphs,
>neglecting their context, but I refer only to the style, not the
>contents.
>

>Michael Wechner schrieb:
>

>>But my question was, why do you think my questions are rude? Is it the
>>tone? Is it that I seem to imply something? Is it that I might be
>>right?
>>

>In Thorsten's place, I'd feel offended by this. You're suggesting
>that he either behaves in an immature way or that he tries to argue
>by emotional appeals, distracting from the meaning of your statements.
>And you're being polemic, which may cause negative feelings towards you.
>You're putting Thorsten in the position to defend himself. I guess
>that was the reason why his last mail was this harsh.
>
>[...]
>

>>Just as an example and I am not comparing you or any other person with
>>George Bush, but do you also
>>think it is offending to ask George Bush why the war in Iraq is happening?
>>

>IMO this is arguing by emotional appeals. You say you don't want
>to compare anyone to G. Bush, but what you really do is generate
>an association to cause a negative bias. The situation you mention
>(asking about the Iraq war) is not at all comparable to our discussion,
>it feels grotesque to mention it in this context. At least in my
>eyes this causes a negative emotion towards your style of discussion.
>
>[...]
>

>>>So why aren't you the leading example? Seems you are just waiting
>>>that this projects will fail, to be able to say "I told you so",
>>>aren't you?
>>>

>>not at all and I don't see any reason why I should hope for this.
>>At least not as long as it is still called Lenya, which is a combination
>>of the names of my first two sons ;-)
>>(but please don't take my last sentence too seriously)
>>

>Well, which amount of seriousness is appropriate here?
>After all, you wrote this sentence. I understand it like you claim
>a special position as the originator of the project. It feels like
>you're appealing to our guilt - neglecting your suggestions means not
>giving you the due respect as the originator of the project.
>
>[...]
>

>>I can only ask you to read my questions and statements as they would
>>have been written by someone else and that you don't assume too much
>>about myself and I am sure you will view things differently.
>>

>When I read something by someone I know, I always have the person in
>mind. And I think it's a pity if you have to tell people to neglect
>the association between your statements and yourself.

thanks for expressing your feelings and I will try to be more gentle,
but I am afraid
that this won't help, because it seems to me from your sentence above

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michi,

How to become a committer (was Re: ...)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 12:29 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 00:22 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> >
> >>so, why aren't they being listed? I think they should be listed for the
> >>record, for other people (e.g. contributors) to learn from how far one
> >>has to go to become a committer, for people who are not being able to
> >>follow every detail as other people are being able to, etc.
> >>
> >>Doesn't that make sense?
> >>

> >It makes sense to create documentation about how to become an apache
> >lenya committer, like:
> >http://forrest.apache.org/committed.html
> >or http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Becoming_A_Nutch_Developer
>
> I am happy to write a proposal resp. compile the links you have sent above.
> But I don't think such a proposal should be part of the documentation
> right away but first should be discussed and voted on.
> So, shall I start one within the Wiki or do you think there is a better
> place?

Yes, please start a wiki page.

salu2

Re: FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 00:22 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>>so, why aren't they being listed? I think they should be listed for the
>>record, for other people (e.g. contributors) to learn from how far one
>>has to go to become a committer, for people who are not being able to
>>follow every detail as other people are being able to, etc.
>>
>>Doesn't that make sense?
>>

>It makes sense to create documentation about how to become an apache
>lenya committer, like:
>http://forrest.apache.org/committed.html
>or http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Becoming_A_Nutch_Developer
>
>...but I reckon you prefer giving good advice and asking rhetoric
>questions instead to contribute such documentation or are you willing to
>spent some time on such documentation?

I am happy to write a proposal resp. compile the links you have sent above.
But I don't think such a proposal should be part of the documentation
right away but first should be discussed and voted on.
So, shall I start one within the Wiki or do you think there is a better
place?

> If not, I reckon you are more
>focused on spreading FUD then actually helping the Lenya community, or?

I am not spreading FUD, I was just asking a simple question: What do you
think are the merits of Bob to make him a committer?

>Isn't it so much easier to criticize people, then actually doing some
>work?

I think I have done a lot of work on Lenya. Yes, I am not so active
anymore code-wise directly at the moment,
but for instance I am still trying to help users. Also if time permits I
will try to improve the Neutron implementation
which I hope people will benefit from.

And I am not weighting how much have other people been done or doing,
because most of it is voluntarily resp. depends on what position you are
in (for instance PMC chair has some responsibilities, but it's voluntary
to be PMC chair) and I also don't think it's very healthy for the
relationship of this community to compare each other.

For instance Andreas and Joern spend a lot of time code-wise, but I
would never say that Jann or you are worse because you spend less time
code-wise.

> Don't you think that all the prior vote threads in the archive
>that contain hints what we are looking for in a committer aren't enough?

no, because everyone will interpret them differently and make their own
assumptions, which might be wrong or right

>Do you think people are not intelligent enough to look up the mailing
>list archive?

I guess they are intelligent enough, but I think it's a waste of
resources, that each person
has to analyze history and also the chances are high that people
interpret it quite differently

>The reason why I have chosen not to meet *YOUR* demand is quite simple,
>I want that more people review the mailing list and the bugzilla
>themselves and starting to think what and who is good for this
>community.

just say that, but don't mix it with an actual vote. One thing is the
process and the other how to
get people involved.

>Don't you think more people should help identifying potential committer?

I don't think identifying is the problem

>>>now you pick out single lines of other people's postings, generalize
>>>statements that were never meant as such, and ask rhethorical
>>>questions that sometimes border on hostile yet seldom convey a
>>>palpable personal standpoint. you claim ideals of good-will, openness
>>>and meritocracy, but frequently phrase them in a way as to be plain
>>>rude to people.
>>>

>>why do you think these questions are rude? I don't think so.
>>

>lol.
>
>Yeah and in the end that is the only thing that count, your own opinion,
>isn't it?

I state my opionion and I am listening and am happy to accept other
opinions.

But my question was, why do you think my questions are rude? Is it the
tone? Is it that I seem to imply something? Is it that I might be right?

Answering this question would help me to understand why you think my
questions are rude and then mabye I could change something about it.

So far, I just get the impression, that you cannot answer my questions,
maybe because you did something wrong, or didn't really think about your
actions, or whatever. How should I know resp. I don't want to make wrong
assumptions and hence I am asking questions.

> Three different PMC members have already pointed out that we
>consider them rude, but I do not see that you are willing to listen to
>this people. We are all equal here, but you are more equal then the
>rest, aren't you?
>

>>>i know i can be obnoxious at times, but people can just should at me
>>>and tell me i'm a jerk. your style of hiding behind suggestions and
>>>rhetorical questions is rather more difficult to deal with, and not
>>>likely to foster an open discussion.
>>>

>>I am not hiding at all by posing questions, but I am asking questions
>>because I would like to get some statements.
>>

>I doubt that, since we (different people) are pointing out (for a while
>now) that your way of asking question is quite offending, but you make
>no intentions to enhance it, do you not care about what other say?

sure, but you might want to tell me what is offending about the questions.

Just as an example and I am not comparing you or any other person with
George Bush, but do you also
think it is offending to ask George Bush why the war in Iraq is happening?

>>If you might remember I was answering Thomas' question why I started Yanel.
>>Have you seen an answer from Thorsten lately why he is considering Alfresco?
>>
>>Ask me stuff and I will be happy to answer (if time permits ;-)
>>

>1) I am tiered that you spread FUD about me and take words out of my
>mouth.
>
>On 2007-04-27 23:02:22 I wrote:
>"...I am ATM evaluating different CMS for my current client and one of
>them is Alfresco. ..."
>
>Meaning I never stated anything about what I consider or not. More I
>clearly stated that I act on MY CLIENT assignment.
>
>Using this sentence to state I am considering Alfresco, is FUD!

I was just asking if you could post a summary of your findings such that
we can learn something from.
I am not asking for secrets of you or your clients, just a
constructive/neutral summary.

I think it still would be nice if you could post such a summary.

And I think you are interpreting too much into my questions, but you
should rather just read my questions
if Andreas or Joern might have posted them.

>The Spanish government (which is my client) is evaluating around 10
>different CMS (like Plone, Alfresco, Liferay, Daisy, Magnolia, ...). The
>evaluation is not meet to be published on a public mailing list and is
>very specific for different public organizations here in Spain.

sounds great. Maybe you can post a summary of the outcome of this
evaluation.

>2) I just got twins and my time is very limited. Your statement implies
>that I do not answer if my time permits, again FUD. If you have a look
>in our changes listed on the website you will find that I am one of few
>that each month is committing to the project (unless like you!). I
>prefer doing some work then feeding your FUD. Do you think that I do not
>spent enough time on lenya?

I think every help is appreciated, doesn't matter how big it is.

> Are you not aware that I am as well active
>on other Apache projects?

yes, for instance I see you spending quite some time on Forrest and also
some time Nutch
I think that's great.

But as said I don't think it's healthy for this community to compare
each other on voluntary work.

I also got three children and salaries to pay and spend time on Open
Source projects such as Yanel, Yulup, Open Development Initiative,
Nutch/Lucene, OSCOM and Lenya but that's my problem and I won't make it
a problem  of this community.

>3) Comparing your actions with mine regarding the involvement of
>different CMS development is comparing apples with oranges, don't you
>think?

I am not comparing. I was asking you for a summary re your findings re
Alfresco.
I guess Thomas was comparing ;-) but he might want to answer this
himself, because I really cannot speak for him.

>>>why do you resign from pmc duties one week and start guideline
>>>discussions the next?
>>>

>>well, I am still a committer and have to follow guidelines. I am still
>>an ASF member and think it's my responsibility to make sure that
>>guidelines an ASF bylaws are being followed.
>>

>lol
>
>Funny, you normally do not pay much attention to our guidelines or stuff
>we asked you million times before, why didn't you change the subject
>line to prevent the odd situation in the voting thread?

yes, I should have changed the subject and I apologize for that, but any
other person
could have changed it as well, but you did it now and that's good.

> I want to point
>out that you REFUSED to review our guidelines when I made the guidelines
>proposal, haven't you? How can you follow guidelines that you refused to
>read?

I didn't agree on the guidelines, because I think we should have started
from scratch and only used
other guidlines as examples, such that we would really have to
understand the reasoning behind each rule
and that we also write this reasoning.

And I still think that would have been the right process.

>>I have resigned from PMC because I seem to have a very different opinion
>>where Lenya should go to and how this community should operate, but I am
>>ready to accept this and after a very long time expressing my opinion
>>without any change I don't think it makes sense to further spend time on it.
>>
>>Makes sense?
>>

>No, regarding the above paragraph you do not want to spend more time on
>this discussions, so what are you doing? Your words does not compute
>with your actions further you are contradict yourself from one mail to
>the other!

I don't think I contradict myself  and I think after such a long time
without any real change within the PMC it just doesn't seem to make
sense. So I am a happy committer now and maybe in the future I will also
resign as a committer, but for the moment I still think I can contribute
something code-wise and I hope I will be able to do so soon again.

>>>sorry, but this looks like trolling to me, especially since you have
>>>decided not to contribute to lenya anymore.
>>>

>>I haven't decided to stop contributing anymore.
>>

>One commit in the last 6 month is saying something else, isn't it?. I
>agree with Jörn, your actions look like a little kid that lost its
>favorite toy and now is producing disturbance with the other kids out of
>defiance.

I can only say that this is not the case

>>>imnsho we have way too much meta-talk about guidelines, meritocracy,
>>>pmc roles and whatnot, and way too little work is getting done.
>>>

>>I think this community will only survive in the long term if each member
>>will stick to guidelines and rules, whereas understanding the reasoning
>>of these guidelines is key and not the guidelines themselves.
>>

>So why aren't you the leading example? Seems you are just waiting that
>this projects will fail, to be able to say "I told you so", aren't you?

not at all and I don't see any reason why I should hope for this.
At least not as long as it is still called Lenya, which is a combination
of the names of my first two sons ;-)
(but please don't take my last sentence too seriously)

>>But it's a
>>problem of getting to know people. This is why "being around for some
>>time" is not such a bad quality ;-) but it's also important to know why
>>somebody is being around :-)
>>

>Again see above 1) I am tiered that you spread FUD about me and take
>words out of my mouth.
>
>On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:58 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>

>>However it is not "being around for some time" like you state, why I
>>propose him.
>>

>I explicitly state that being around is not a criteria! YOU said this!

I think it is a criteria, but only one and I would have been interested
what other criteria you see.

>So why you pervert my word saying:
>
>On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 15:14 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>You already started with one quality: Bob has been around for some
>>time
>>

>Are you incredible ignorant or high on something or just want to piss
>people off?
>
>DO NOT put words in my mouth and do not spread FUD!
>
>salu2
>
>P.S.: I did not wanted to get involved in such discussion anymore,
>because I have no time ATM at all and very tiered of this ego centric
>way of discussions.
>
>P.P.S.: If I do not give an answer for a while it may be that I need to
>change dippers, feed the babies, work in my profession or sleep.

It seems to me that you currently have a very hard time and I understand
your situation very well, since
I know how it is to combine family with work and I am sorry that it
might be very exhausting at the moment for you.

FUD (was Re: [Vote] ...)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 00:22 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> so, why aren't they being listed? I think they should be listed for the
> record, for other people (e.g. contributors) to learn from how far one
> has to go to become a committer, for people who are not being able to
> follow every detail as other people are being able to, etc.
>
> Doesn't that make sense?

It makes sense to create documentation about how to become an apache
lenya committer, like:
http://forrest.apache.org/committed.html
or http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Becoming_A_Nutch_Developer

...but I reckon you prefer giving good advice and asking rhetoric
questions instead to contribute such documentation or are you willing to
spent some time on such documentation? If not, I reckon you are more
focused on spreading FUD then actually helping the Lenya community, or?

Isn't it so much easier to criticize people, then actually doing some
work? Don't you think that all the prior vote threads in the archive
that contain hints what we are looking for in a committer aren't enough?
Do you think people are not intelligent enough to look up the mailing
list archive?

The reason why I have chosen not to meet *YOUR* demand is quite simple,
I want that more people review the mailing list and the bugzilla
themselves and starting to think what and who is good for this
community.

Don't you think more people should help identifying potential committer?

> > now you pick out single lines of other people's postings, generalize
> > statements that were never meant as such, and ask rhethorical
> > questions that sometimes border on hostile yet seldom convey a
> > palpable personal standpoint. you claim ideals of good-will, openness
> > and meritocracy, but frequently phrase them in a way as to be plain
> > rude to people.
>

> why do you think these questions are rude? I don't think so.

lol.

Yeah and in the end that is the only thing that count, your own opinion,
isn't it? Three different PMC members have already pointed out that we

On 2007-04-27 23:02:22 I wrote:
[...]

spent enough time on lenya? Are you not aware that I am as well active
on other Apache projects?

3) Comparing your actions with mine regarding the involvement of
different CMS development is comparing apples with oranges, don't you
think?

> > why do you resign from pmc duties one week and start guideline
> > discussions the next?
>

> well, I am still a committer and have to follow guidelines. I am still
> an ASF member and think it's my responsibility to make sure that
> guidelines an ASF bylaws are being followed.

lol

Funny, you normally do not pay much attention to our guidelines or stuff
we asked you million times before, why didn't you change the subject
line to prevent the odd situation in the voting thread? I want to point

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> michi,
>
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>

>> this is not about Bob,  but about how the Lenya community resp. the
>> Lenya PMC doesn't seem to be able to be transparent why a person is
>> being asked becoming a committer.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I very much believe in transparency (with some exceptions), but maybe
>> that's my biggest problem, because most people don't like to be
>> questioned/critized in public. I also don't like it, but at least I
>> try to be frank about it.
>

> i agree that thorsten's choice of words sounded a little unfortunate
> to me as well (but then, maybe i'm over-sensitive since we've had more
> than one heated exchange lately).
> but after clarifying his intention (i.e. that people should look for
> themselves and make up their own minds) i think the matter is
> perfectly settled. bob's contributions do indeed speak for themselves.

so, why aren't they being listed? I think they should be listed for the
record, for other people (e.g. contributors) to learn from how far one
has to go to become a committer, for people who are not being able to
follow every detail as other people are being able to, etc.

Doesn't that make sense?

> now you pick out single lines of other people's postings, generalize
> statements that were never meant as such, and ask rhethorical
> questions that sometimes border on hostile yet seldom convey a
> palpable personal standpoint. you claim ideals of good-will, openness
> and meritocracy, but frequently phrase them in a way as to be plain
> rude to people.

why do you think these questions are rude? I don't think so.

> i know i can be obnoxious at times, but people can just should at me
> and tell me i'm a jerk. your style of hiding behind suggestions and
> rhetorical questions is rather more difficult to deal with, and not
> likely to foster an open discussion.

I am not hiding at all by posing questions, but I am asking questions
because I would like to get some statements.

If you might remember I was answering Thomas' question why I started Yanel.
Have you seen an answer from Thorsten lately why he is considering Alfresco?

Ask me stuff and I will be happy to answer (if time permits ;-)

> why do you resign from pmc duties one week and start guideline
> discussions the next?

well, I am still a committer and have to follow guidelines. I am still
an ASF member and think it's my responsibility to make sure that
guidelines an ASF bylaws are being followed.

Does that make sense?

I have resigned from PMC because I seem to have a very different opinion
where Lenya should go to and how this community should operate, but I am
ready to accept this and after a very long time expressing my opinion
without any change I don't think it makes sense to further spend time on it.

Makes sense?

> sorry, but this looks like trolling to me, especially since you have
> decided not to contribute to lenya anymore.

I haven't decided to stop contributing anymore. I am not as active
code-wise as I used to be, but will try to further improve on Neutron
(if nobody has any objections).

> i hope i'm not starting a personal flame war, but i can't help
> thinking there is an unsolved legacy of personal sensitivities and
> quarrels that keeps cropping up...

sure, there is. Gregor, Andreas and Thorsten (and Renaud and Edith and
Felix and Christian) all worked for Wyona and I was their boss and we
split up for various reasons, but I don't think that's the problem resp.
I definitely try hard not to be influenced by this.

Don't worry I will ask the same questions when you or anyone else will
do things which I think should be done differently ;-)

And you hopefully will do the same thing, I mean asking questions and
expressing your opinion.

> i'd rather not have to deal with that.
>
> imnsho we have way too much meta-talk about guidelines, meritocracy,
> pmc roles and whatnot, and way too little work is getting done.

I think this community will only survive in the long term if each member
will stick to guidelines and rules, whereas understanding the reasoning
of these guidelines is key and not the guidelines themselves. But it's a
problem of getting to know people. This is why "being around for some
time" is not such a bad quality ;-) but it's also important to know why
somebody is being around :-)

Lenya will improve when people are actually using it and people are
being taught how they can contribute resp. empowered to do so, but this
needs some patience.

> which is why i'm shutting up now.

me too :-)

Good night

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
michi,

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> this is not about Bob,  but about how the Lenya community resp. the
> Lenya PMC doesn't seem to be able to be transparent why a person is
> being asked becoming a committer.
<snip>
> I very much believe in transparency (with some exceptions), but maybe
> that's my biggest problem, because most people don't like to be
> questioned/critized in public. I also don't like it, but at least I try
> to be frank about it.

i agree that thorsten's choice of words sounded a little unfortunate to
me as well (but then, maybe i'm over-sensitive since we've had more than
one heated exchange lately).
but after clarifying his intention (i.e. that people should look for
themselves and make up their own minds) i think the matter is perfectly
settled. bob's contributions do indeed speak for themselves.

now you pick out single lines of other people's postings, generalize
statements that were never meant as such, and ask rhethorical questions
that sometimes border on hostile yet seldom convey a palpable personal
standpoint. you claim ideals of good-will, openness and meritocracy, but
frequently phrase them in a way as to be plain rude to people.

i know i can be obnoxious at times, but people can just should at me and
tell me i'm a jerk. your style of hiding behind suggestions and
rhetorical questions is rather more difficult to deal with, and not
likely to foster an open discussion.

why do you resign from pmc duties one week and start guideline
discussions the next? sorry, but this looks like trolling to me,
especially since you have decided not to contribute to lenya anymore.

i hope i'm not starting a personal flame war, but i can't help thinking
there is an unsolved legacy of personal sensitivities and quarrels that
keeps cropping up... i'd rather not have to deal with that.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> my concern is that you don't want to express why you think Bob earns
>> to become a committer.
>>
>> You might remember that the ASF is about openess and transparency, so
>> what's so difficult about
>> writing down where you see the qualities of Bob?
>>
>> You already started with one quality: Bob has been around for some time
>> So what other qualities do you see?
>

> michi, your behavior is inappropriate. if you want to hold forth on
> policy, come join the PMC. publicly discussing the merits of a valued
> member of our community is very immature and insensitive.

this is not about Bob,  but about how the Lenya community resp. the
Lenya PMC doesn't seem to be able to be transparent why a person is
being asked becoming a committer.

To Bob: Please apologize if you are being involved in this discussion
and I want to make it very clear that this discussion has nothing to do
with you or your merits.

> you know as well as anyone that we don't do that out of respect for
> the person under consideration.

I very well understand the reasoning why the merits of a person are
being discussed on the private PMC mailing list, but I don't understand
at all why these merits are not being communicated to the public after
the PMC seems to have found consensus why this person should be asked
and voted on to become a committer.

Can you or any other PMC member explain?

I just wanted to know what other merits than being around for some time
are there?
For instance is this person providing patches on a regular basis, is
this person being respectful and friendly, does this person help other
persons on the mailing lists, etc.  Is that asked too much?

> i expect more from a member of the asf, frankly.

because I am an ASF member I am asking these questions and stating my
opinion how I think this community should "operate".

I very much believe in transparency (with some exceptions), but maybe
that's my biggest problem, because most people don't like to be
questioned/critized in public. I also don't like it, but at least I try
to be frank about it.

Cheers

Michael

> that said i fully endorse bob as a lenya committer.

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>> > my concern is that you don't want to express why you think Bob earns to
>> > become a committer.
>> >
>> > You might remember that the ASF is about openess and transparency, so
>> > what's so difficult about
>> > writing down where you see the qualities of Bob?
>> >
>> > You already started with one quality: Bob has been around for some time
>> > So what other qualities do you see?
>>
>> michi, your behavior is inappropriate. if you want to hold forth on
>> policy, come join the PMC. publicly discussing the merits of a valued
>> member of our community is very immature and insensitive. you know as
>> well as anyone that we don't do that out of respect for the person under
>> consideration.
>>
>> i expect more from a member of the asf, frankly.
>>
>> that said i fully endorse bob as a lenya committer.
>
> As a bystander, this vote does seem odd.  Your project guidelines[1]
> state that these votes take place on the private@ list to allow
> open/frank discussion.

this is how we have always done it, so it is no more odd than the
previous 10 times or so.

> So, is this vote for real (against your own policy) or is it just
> ceremonial?

you are right, it is ceremonial, for historical reasons. we inherited
that from cocoon. and i think it is a good policy: it shows people that
we appreciate them in a ceremonial way.

> FWIW, I think you guys should probably re-address your policy
> independent of this particular vote.

it would be good to codify this practice, agreed.

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 12:45 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
>

>>As a bystander, this vote does seem odd.  Your project guidelines[1]
>>state that these votes take place on the private@ list to allow
>>open/frank discussion.
>>

>We once used the forrest guidelines as a start for ours and this
>paragraph is, as you point out correctly, not reflecting the reality for
>committer votes.

what do we believe in? The current guidelines or some unwritten legacy?

I guess both, right?

>I just fixed this

But shouldn't we first have a discussion in order to give people a chance
discussing re if we should change the written guidelines which we voted
on some time ago and agreed on?!

Just as a question/note, IIRC the PMC chair could change the guidelines
anytime without having to ask the PMC members according to the ASF
bylaws, right?

Cheers

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 12:45 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
> As a bystander, this vote does seem odd.  Your project guidelines[1]
> state that these votes take place on the private@ list to allow
> open/frank discussion.

We once used the forrest guidelines as a start for ours and this
paragraph is, as you point out correctly, not reflecting the reality for
committer votes.

I just fixed this and will publish the web site within the next couple

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/07, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> > my concern is that you don't want to express why you think Bob earns to
> > become a committer.
> >
> > You might remember that the ASF is about openess and transparency, so
> > what's so difficult about
> > writing down where you see the qualities of Bob?
> >
> > You already started with one quality: Bob has been around for some time
> > So what other qualities do you see?
>
> michi, your behavior is inappropriate. if you want to hold forth on
> policy, come join the PMC. publicly discussing the merits of a valued
> member of our community is very immature and insensitive. you know as
> well as anyone that we don't do that out of respect for the person under
> consideration.
>
> i expect more from a member of the asf, frankly.
>
> that said i fully endorse bob as a lenya committer.

As a bystander, this vote does seem odd.  Your project guidelines[1]
state that these votes take place on the private@ list to allow
open/frank discussion.

So, is this vote for real (against your own policy) or is it just ceremonial?

FWIW, I think you guys should probably re-address your policy
independent of this particular vote.

--tim

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

--
Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: [Vote] Bob Harner as a Lenya commiter

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>I propose Bob Harner to become a new committer.
>
>I am not going to say much specific about how long
>he has been around
>
> or what his qualities are.

I would be very interested in your opinion. Can you please say where you
see his qualities beside being around for some time?

Or have these qualities been discussed on the private PMC list? I don't
think all committers are part of this list and I think for them it would
be nice to have a quick summary of these qualities, because otherwise I
guess it would have never come to this vote.

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner