Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/09/24 09:47:34 UTC

Help needed on site update problem

Am trying to import the 4.1.5 docs for the avalon framework into
avalon-site/site/framework however I'm lots of conflicts (109 to be
exact).  Any suggests?

  cvs import -I ! -I CVS -W "*.png -k 'b'" -W "*.gif -k 'b'" -m "no
message"   avalon-site/site/framework MCCONNELL DOCS_4_1_5 (in directory
F:\dev\avalon\framework\site\target\docs\)

109 conflicts created by this import.

:-(

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> May I suggest;
>>
>> 1. check out the old avalon-site.

1.a cd into appropriate directory :D

>> 2. for FILE in `find . -type f | grep -v CVS` ; do rm $FILE ; done
>> 3. copy the new docs into the old structure.
>> 4. cvs -q remove  , to take away old docs no longer needed.
>> 5. cvs -q update -dP , to get a list of new files.
>> 6. cvs -q add <each such file>
>> 7. cvs -q commit -m "whatever"
>>
> Umm, am I sufficiently brave ... ?

you want to learn this sooner or later :P

> What about just nuking the contents of avalon-site/site/framework and
> doing a clean import?

that would work too.

> My experience in the past is that I can (without problem) import over
> prior imports, but I cannot import over commits.

that might be true. cvs commit can do merges, import cannot.

Get yourself cygwin (www.cygwin.com), learn a teenie weenie little bit
of bash (the default linux shell, also in cygwin, available on the asf
machines), spend an hour or two reading the cvsbook (at redbean.com
somewhere I think), create a foney repository and try stuff out. It is
not actually hard at all.

cheers!

- LSD

Re: RES: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
hammett wrote:
> Excuse me, but I'd like to join this thread only to ask something: is
> there a way to protect a resource in CVS? I mean it could be downloaded
> and even changed by someone who have a login to CVS, but not available
> to public anonymous CVS access.

well, we *could* ask for an avalon-private module. The asf has several
modules only available for reading to select groups.

> The problem is: I need to sign Avalon assemblies with a private key to
> give it a Strong Name [1] but I don't like to make this private/public
> key pair available to anyone who could download the code, change it (
> mallicious intention ) and sign it as it was created by Avalon Team.

IIRC the assembly signing scheme sucks because there is no "web of
trust" concept embedded. Our normal signing scheme using PGP works
wonders because of it.

I don't really know a good way around this. I suggest you sign with your
own private key and make the public key available like we do with the
PGP keys.

cheers!

- Leo

Re: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 September 2003 18:42, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>I'm already leaning on Leo's for ops support on the release!  Anyway, I've
>>still got a few things to do on the sandbox to avalon migration.  Times
>>like this I think about migrating to L****.
>>

>There should be a million other reasons as well... If you do,
>
>1. Nuke the Windows install altogether, otherwise you will keep going there as
>soon as there is the slightest resistance in Linux...
>
>2. If you do 1. you will have a few nightmares on the way. Although the the
>modern distros are a lot easier to use than when I started in -97, many small
>details will irritate and cause "bad mood"... Once overcome, and once the
>sunny side of Linux is appreciated, I'll throw up every time you have to use
>a Windows machine. At least I do...

Eeek ... this is stressful just reading your message !!!
But at least I'm thinking about it.
;-)

Posted by hammett <ho...@bvtibusiness.com.br>.
Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
hammett wrote:

> [...]

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

RES: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by hammett <ho...@bvtibusiness.com.br>.
Excuse me, but I'd like to join this thread only to ask something: is
there a way to protect a resource in CVS? I mean it could be downloaded
and even changed by someone who have a login to CVS, but not available
to public anonymous CVS access.

The problem is: I need to sign Avalon assemblies with a private key to
give it a Strong Name [1] but I don't like to make this private/public
key pair available to anyone who could download the code, change it (
mallicious intention ) and sign it as it was created by Avalon Team.

Regards,

hammett

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide
/html/cpconstrong-namedassemblies.asp

Re: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 24 September 2003 18:42, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> I'm already leaning on Leo's for ops support on the release!  Anyway, I've
> still got a few things to do on the sandbox to avalon migration.  Times
> like this I think about migrating to L****.

There should be a million other reasons as well... If you do,

1. Nuke the Windows install altogether, otherwise you will keep going there as
soon as there is the slightest resistance in Linux...

2. If you do 1. you will have a few nightmares on the way. Although the the
modern distros are a lot easier to use than when I started in -97, many small
details will irritate and cause "bad mood"... Once overcome, and once the
sunny side of Linux is appreciated, I'll throw up every time you have to use
a Windows machine. At least I do...

Niclas

Re: Help needed on site update problem

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 September 2003 16:56, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Umm, am I sufficiently brave ... ?
>>What about just nuking the contents of avalon-site/site/framework and
>>doing a clean import?
>>

>add + commit is safer than anything else. It can be rolled back very easily.
>Not sure what you mean by "nuking", but sounds a lot more "serious".

nuking as in rm **/*.*

>If you
>mean remove stuff in CVS server directories, I would recommend against it
>since you loose all history.

that's ok - this is the avalon-site/site which is generated documetation
- the cvs history we care about resides with the doc sources

>>My experience in the past is that I can (without problem) import over
>>prior imports, but I cannot import over commits.
>>

>Not sure what you mean.
>The problem for "import" is that "merging" of changes happens on client, and
>not on the server (you notice this when you try to commit a file someone else
>have changed since you last updated it), and import is not constructed to
>handle "merges", so if the files are the same = no problem, but if they are
>different, it just says that there is "file in the way".

so what is probably happening here is that manual patches have been
aplied to the generated docs which is blocking the import of virgin content

>Or a another funny way of doing it is to create a branch on the existing site,
>then modify that to your liking and then merge the branch back to the head.
>But that does not really add much value from a remove/add/commit manouver I
>told you about...

:-(

>Maybe you just commit the stuff in where they are located now, and ask Leo
>Simons to do the transfer for you ;o)

I'm already leaning on Leo's for ops support on the release!  Anyway, I've
still got a few things to do on the sandbox to avalon migration.  Times like
this I think about migrating to L****.

Steve.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 24 September 2003 16:56, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Umm, am I sufficiently brave ... ?
> What about just nuking the contents of avalon-site/site/framework and
> doing a clean import?

add + commit is safer than anything else. It can be rolled back very easily.
Not sure what you mean by "nuking", but sounds a lot more "serious". If you

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 September 2003 15:47, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>Am trying to import the 4.1.5 docs for the avalon framework into
>>avalon-site/site/framework however I'm lots of conflicts (109 to be
>>exact).  Any suggests?
>>
>>  cvs import -I ! -I CVS -W "*.png -k 'b'" -W "*.gif -k 'b'" -m "no
>>message"   avalon-site/site/framework MCCONNELL DOCS_4_1_5 (in directory
>>F:\dev\avalon\framework\site\target\docs\)
>>

>May I suggest;
>
>1. check out the old avalon-site.
>2. for FILE in `find . -type f | grep -v CVS` ; do rm $FILE ; done
>3. copy the new docs into the old structure.
>4. cvs -q remove  , to take away old docs no longer needed.
>5. cvs -q update -dP , to get a list of new files.
>6. cvs -q add <each such file>
>7. cvs -q commit -m "whatever"

Umm, am I sufficiently brave ... ?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 24 September 2003 15:47, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Am trying to import the 4.1.5 docs for the avalon framework into
> avalon-site/site/framework however I'm lots of conflicts (109 to be
> exact).  Any suggests?
>
>   cvs import -I ! -I CVS -W "*.png -k 'b'" -W "*.gif -k 'b'" -m "no
> message"   avalon-site/site/framework MCCONNELL DOCS_4_1_5 (in directory
> F:\dev\avalon\framework\site\target\docs\)

May I suggest;

1. check out the old avalon-site.
2. for FILE in `find . -type f | grep -v CVS` ; do rm $FILE ; done
3. copy the new docs into the old structure.
4. cvs -q remove  , to take away old docs no longer needed.
5. cvs -q update -dP , to get a list of new files.
6. cvs -q add <each such file>
7. cvs -q commit -m "whatever"

I think, you get the conflicts because "File in the way" kind of message...

Niclas