Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Sharkey <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/11 22:45:36 UTC

host tag in server.xml

Hi - I am running tomcat 5.5 as a standalone web
server. I want to know how to use wildcards in the
host tag (or alias tag) so that when someone types
xxx.mydomain.com, the xxx can be anything at all and
they go to the same place. In apache, I know you could
say something like:

*.mydomain.com

This doesn't seem to work in tomcat. Any help would be
great! Thanks.

-mjs

Re: host tag in server.xml

Posted by Drew Jorgenson <de...@omniplatform.com>.
Hey Michael,

The way I do it is first of all set the wildcard in the DNS config for
the domain and point it to a certain IP address, e.g.  * IN A 1.2.3.4

then I set up the virtual host in server.xml to contain the IP address
as an alias

      <Host name="www.mydomain.com" debug="0" appBase="mydomain.com"
              unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

 	<Alias>mydomain.com</Alias>
	<Alias>1.2.3.4</Alias>
directory="logs"
            prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"
/>
         <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
         <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" reloadable="true" debug="0"/>
      </Host>

Now, everytime that the IP 1.2.3.4 is invoked through the browser it
points to the mydomain.com container, so all subdomains that resolve
through the wildcard to this IP address will also point to that
container.

Of course the drawback to that is that you need a dedicated IP address
to your domain.

Drew.