Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Sebastian <no...@gmx.net> on 2010/09/29 19:25:47 UTC

Wicket Push for Java 5?

Hi,

why is the wicket push module available in the Maven repo1 compiled with
Java 6? I checked out the code and cannot find a single usage of any new
Java 6 features (except the @Override annotation used on methods of
implemented interfaces).

I'm currently working in an environment where only Java 5 is allowed.
all other wicket components retrieved via Maven repo1 work fine here.

Regards,
Seb

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
  Hi Rodolfo,

I think you would need two wicketstuff-push parents (one for java5 and
one for java6) each with a separate artifactid.

Like:

wicketstuff-core -> jdk-1.5-parent -> push-parent-jdk-1.5 -> containing
all but the cometd artifact
wicketstuff-core -> jdk-1.6-parent -> push-parent-jdk-1.6 -> containing
the comentd artifact.

If there is a dependency from the cometd artifact to the java 5 push
artifacts it can be resolved by building the java 5 artifacts first
(both in hudson and when the release is cut).

Regards,

Mike

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Rodolfo Hansen <kr...@gmail.com>.
Regarding this patch..

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Sebastian <no...@gmx.net>.
Thanks. Here you go...

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Rodolfo Hansen <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Sebastian <no...@gmx.net>.
Hi Mike,

Re: Wicket Push for Java 5?

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
  Hi Sebastian,

Re: Wicketstuff project organization

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
I'm bringing this discussion to the dev list, especially because of mike's
excellent response.

Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com
-- sent from my "smart" phone, so please excuse spelling, formatting, or
compiler errors

On Sep 30, 2010 12:10 PM, "Michael O&apos;Cleirigh" <
michael.ocleirigh@rivulet.ca> wrote:

 Hi Sebastian,

Basically wicketstuff is a container for third party wicket component
development.  Wicketstuff-core is a release container for building matching
releases of the various wicketstuff components to the wicket releases.

Each module is maintained individually but from my perspective (cutting
releases) I only care about the build actually building.  So don't commit
things that break the build since that can result in a module being excluded
from a release.

You can self create an account for yourself on the wicketstuff.org/hudson to
be able to trigger builds and to see if your changes work (polls svn
hourly).

More details below:

> Dear Mike, Rodolfo, and Jeremy,
>
> since I have no idea where the right place is to ask these q...
I think most discussion seems to be on the wicket users list.

> b) where is the right place to create and track bug requests for
wicketstuff components?

There used to be a JIRA instance on wicketstuff.org but that is no longer
available.  Presently there is no issue tracking for wicketstuff components.

> c) Jeremy, you told me to request commit access to the wicketstuff svn to
directly apply a patch...
If you are making substantial changes its good practice to let the project
owner (as listed in the pom) know what you are planning in advance.  If you
are adding new features (without changing the existing API) probably you can
just do it and then let the project owner know later.

Rodolfo can advise you on how he wants the process to work for your
wicketstuff-push changes.

>From my perspective you only need to be aware that although there are two
trees (java 5 and java6) there is only one group id org.wicketstuff so you
need to make sure that there aren't any artifactId collisions with your
change.

> d) if I want to apply a patch, e.g. for the wicket-push module 1.4.12
version, do I just patc...
Possible branches to commit your changes:

wicket 1.4.12 stable
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/branches/wicketstuff-core-1.4.12/

wicket 1.4 development
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/branches/wicketstuff-core-1.4/

wicket 1.5 development:
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/

If changes are committed to the 1.4.12 stable branch I can cut a 1.4.12.1
release pretty much on demand at this point that will include them.

If they are committed into the 1.4 branch they will be included in the
1.4.13 release (which will occur after wicket 1.4.13 is released).

If they are committed into the 1.5 branch they will be included in releases
once wicket 1.5 stabilizes (worst case is 1.5.0).

The 1.4.13-SNAPSHOT and 1.5-SNAPSHOT versions are available through the
snapshot repository here:
http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots

> e) The wicketstuff Wiki seems to contain a lot of outdated information,
e.g. on the http://wicke...
The wiki should allow you to create and account and update the pages.  Maybe
it could serve as a place to put issues/defects for particular modules.
 I'll try to update that page with more up to date information.

Regards,

Mike