Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/27 14:33:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

I've uploaded a release for Karaf 1.2.0.

The staging site is available at:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-023/

The release page is available at
  http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/karaf-120.html

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the signatures:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh 023 /tmp/felix-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by da...@apache.org.
+1

David Bosschaert

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 11/30/09 12:07, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 17:54, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>  wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> There are certainly issues of accuracy with the NOTICE files, but since our
>> understanding of what is needed for NOTICE files is evolving, I guess we can
>> say these aren't critical. However, we still need to come up with some final
>> understanding about what we are doing with our NOTICE files, since it is
>> hard to verify our releases without clear rules.
>>
>> Most NOTICE files in Karaf modules just use the name "Apache Felix Karaf",
>> but I think they should use a name for the specific module.
>>
>> Currently, most modules depend on Felix' OSGi JAR files, but they should be
>> moved to the OSGi JAR files.
>>
>> Lastly, and this is not specific to Karaf, but the release process for
>> modular systems isn't good. Karaf has 35 or so modules and actually
>> verifying them (not just +1'ing) is a major commitment in time and even then
>> it is difficult to do a good job.
>>
>> At some point, we are going to have to lobby to refine the release process
>> within Apache or else we are going to buckle under the weight of so many
>> modules, IMO.
>>
> Most of the projects I know about use the maven remote resource plugin
> which auto-generates a decent default NOTICE.
> The only case where something is actually added to this default is
> when you embed code that itself need some attribution.
> The only real needed information is what is *in* the jar, which is
> usually very simple and plain ASL stuff.  There is a bit of work to do
> for binary distributions which contain third party dependencies, but
> the amount of work is much less that we currently have in Felix.

I am all for moving toward such an approach, but I still don't know if
it relieves the issue I raise about verifying the modules.

Since, as you point out, the default still needs to be edited if
attribution is required, then each module must be verified to see if
this is happening. I don't see how we can avoid this sort of
verification for every module on every release, since you never know
when a dependency will be added that requires attribution.

Now if we could get the maven plugin to verify that attribute occurs
when it needs to, then we'd be all set.

-> richard

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
The vote has passed with the following results:

  +1 (binding): Felix Meschberger, Richard S. Hall, Guillaume Nodet
  +1 (non binding): Eoghan Glynn, David Boasschaert, Chris Custine,
Filippo Diotalevi, Freeman Fang

I will copy this release to the Felix dist directory and
promote the artifacts to the central Maven repository.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Release Karaf 1.2.0

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've uploaded a release for Karaf 1.2.0.
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release

+1

--