Posted to commits@spamassassin.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/03/14 01:30:29 UTC

[Spamassassin Wiki] Update of "Rules/APOSTROPHE_FROM" by LeeMaguire

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Spamassassin Wiki" for change notification.

The "Rules/APOSTROPHE_FROM" page has been changed by LeeMaguire:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/APOSTROPHE_FROM?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

Comment:
update, note that addresses are valid if unusual

- Names like "FO'Hara@xxxxx.com" will be received as spam due to the apostrophe in the address.
+ #language en
+ == SpamAssassin Rule: APOSTROPHE_FROM ==

- One of my friends asked me why I dont respond to his funny emails with poorly photoshopped graphics. It was because my spam filter thought what he was sending was spam.
+ ''Standard description:'' From address contains an apostrophe

+ === Explanation ===
+
+ The apostrophe character "'" appears in the address part of the From: header.
+
+ e.g. {{{<jo...@example.com>}}}
+
+ === Further Info ===
+
+ The default scores for this rule can be found [[http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests.html|in the online list of tests]].
+
+ Note that, while the [[http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4|email address specification]] allows for apostrophes to be included in the local-part of an address, use of apostrophes has been historically discouraged for security and interoperability reasons.  As such addresses containing them use may be considered unusual.
+
+ ----
+ CategoryRule
+