Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Cioe, Maureen" <Ma...@GD-CS.COM> on 2001/04/16 21:43:22 UTC

Validating mixed content with a DTD

Hi,
	I am using Xerces 1.2.0 and am trying to validate an XML file using
a simple DTD (see below).  The validation fails in the DTD when I put
#PCDATA in an element containing children.   It gives me an error saying
it's expecting a ) after PCDATA.  Is there something I am missing here?
Hopefully this is an easy question.

--------------------------------- DTD- tmp.dtd
----------------------------------
<!--Name of the mediators to be used for this screen in a given mode.-->
<!ELEMENT REQUIRED_MEDIATOR (#PCDATA)>

<!--Name of the adapters to be used for this screen in a given mode.-->
<!ELEMENT REQUIRED_ADAPTER (#PCDATA)>

<!--This element defines which mediator should be used for the Initial
Contact of a given mode.-->
<!ELEMENT INITIAL_MEDIATOR_NAME (#PCDATA)>

<!--This element defines the mode of the screen and the elements needed for
a given mode.-->
<!ELEMENT MODE
(#PCDATA,REQUIRED_MEDIATOR*,REQUIRED_ADAPTER?,INITIAL_MEDIATOR_NAME?)*>

xml file
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE SCREEN SYSTEM "tmp.dtd" >

<SCREEN>
  <MODE> open
      <REQUIRED_MEDIATOR> switch_enable </REQUIRED_MEDIATOR>

      <REQUIRED_ADAPTER> sitma_adapter </REQUIRED_ADAPTER>

      <INITIAL_MEDIATOR_NAME> initial_contact   </INITIAL_MEDIATOR_NAME>
  </MODE>

</SCREEN>

Maureen Cioe
General Dynamics
Communication Systems
400 John Quincy Adams Rd.
Taunton, MA 02780
508.880.4681

Re: Validating mixed content with a DTD

Posted by Se...@cern.ch.
A mixed content does not have this form. It must be of the form (#PCDATA | ...)
See http://XMLwriter.net/xml_guide/element_declaration.shtml#DeclareMixed.

Sebastien