Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/10/15 19:33:52 UTC

New environment variable? (fwd)

Hmmm, a matter of taste I guess

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: JDC <yo...@parodius.com>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: New environment variable?

	Stronghold has quite a nifty little feature built-in to it,
	allowing (somehow) actual error strings to be returned from
	the logs (though I doubt grep'd out -- waste of CPU, totally).

	This is very cool, because it would allow people to add nifty
	SSI HTML code with the ErrorDocument directive. Let me give you
	an example:

File Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/blahfoo was not found on this server.

There was also some additional information available about the error:
[Tue Oct 14 21:37:05 1997] access to /var/www/cgi-bin/blahfoo failed for
albany-pm3-22.dnc.net, reason: script not found or unable to stat

	This is a feature I *DEFINITELY* feel Apache should have
	implemented. I could really make use of this feature, and I
	feel that my users could really save some time trying to
	figure out problems or the like.

	I don't know if this is possible, but extending the output even more
	would be very awesome. Such as, when a perl script has a
	typo or parses wrong, the actual output of 'perl' could be
	trapped, and the error displayed.

	This would be one of the best additions to Apache, IMHO.

	Thanks, and keep up the good work.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                        yoshi@parodius.com |
| System/Network/Security Administrator                  yoshi@dnc.net      |