Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2012/05/04 18:26:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] Giraph graduation resolution

All,
   We need a resolution before we can do the vote on incubator
general. The text is pretty boilerplate, but make sure that I got all
of the spots fixed and got all of the names right. I've removed Arun
Suresh and Phillip Rhodes since they haven't participated in the
project while it has been in incubation.

-- Owen

## Resolution to create a TLP from graduating Incubator podling

 X. Establish the Apache Giraph Project

     open-source software related to a highly scaleable, fault-tolerant,
     Bulk Synchronous Parallel (BSP)-based graph processing framework
     for distribution at no charge to the public.

     Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Giraph Project",
     Foundation; and be it further

     RESOLVED, that the Apache Giraph Project be and hereby is
     related to a distributed computing graph processing framework;
     and be it further

     RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Giraph" be
     and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
     serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
     of the Apache Giraph Project, and to have primary responsibility
     for management of the projects within the scope of
     responsibility of the Apache Giraph Project; and be it further

     Apache Giraph Project:

     * Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>
     * Claudio Martella <cl...@apache.org>
     * Dmitriy V. Ryaboy <dv...@apache.org>
     * Eugene Joseph Koontz <ek...@apache.org>
     * Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>
     * Jakob Homan <jg...@apache.org>
     * Jake Mannix <jm...@apache.org>
     * Christian Kunz <ku...@apache.org>
     * Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>
     * Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>

     NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Avery Ching
     be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Giraph, to
     serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
     death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
     or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

     RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Giraph PMC be and hereby is
     tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
     encourage open development and increased participation in the
     Apache Giraph Project; and be it further

     RESOLVED, that the Apache Giraph Project be and hereby
     Incubator Giraph podling; and be it further

     Incubator Giraph podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
     Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [DISCUSS] Giraph graduation resolution

Posted by Christian Kunz <ch...@jybe-inc.com>.
Sorry about that (my current non-involvement).
Currently working for a start-up with no bandwidth left (not even on weekends) and, unfortunately, that start-up does not need Giraph right away. I hope this will change sometime in the future.

-Christian

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
I agree the suggestions, and +1 on the resolution.

2012년 5월 5일 토요일에 Owen O'Malley님이 작성:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks good.  I might suggest adding language to rotate the PMC chair
> > annually to spread the responsibility around a bit and increase our
> > Bus Number.  Also, I was hoping to have seen Christian a bit more
> > during incubation...
>
> Since this resolution is a one-off, I would suggest putting the anual
> rotation in the bylaws that will be part of the project's permanent
> website. That will make it more visible and easier for the project to
> change it itself.
>
> I agree that Christian hasn't been involved while it is in the
> incubator. On the other hand, he was heavily involved before it came
> to Apache. Looking at the svn logs, the number of commits (not
> contributions) per user is:
>
>  148 aching
>  47 jghoman
>  37 ckunz
>  11 claudio
>   7 exg
>   5 ssc
>   4 hyunsik
>   3 omalley
>   1 kunzchr
>   1 jmannix
>   1 ekoontz
>   1 asuresh
>
> So Christian only has 1 commit at Apache, but he has 37 prior. Given
> that level of involvement, I'd rather put him on the Giraph PMC and
> let him go emeritis in a few months. What do others think?
>
> -- Owen

Hyunsik Choi
Database Lab, Korea University
http://diveintodata.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Giraph graduation resolution

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
My general strategy here is to include anyone on the PPMC + mentors on
the resolution and to let someone tell you (like me) that they don't need/want
to be on the resolution.

IOW, let them opt out.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
+1 from me too.

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me as well

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Giraph graduation resolution

Posted by Eugene Koontz <ek...@hiro-tan.org>.

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
+1, sounds good to me.  I also would like to have a rotating PMC chair.

Avery

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.