Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/17 16:04:21 UTC

Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

I'm working on getting the Log4j Scala repo set up independently from the
main Log4j repo (and doing Log4j Boot on the side; this will be released
independently, so don't worry about this blocking anything) and doing some
general site cleanups and whatnot. For 2.8, the other non-core modules will
most likely remain where they are and the Log4j Scala API repo gets to be
our first foray into the separated repos space.

Feature-wise, are there any other things we'd like to complete before
cutting a 2.8 release? Based on the ongoing Zookeeper migration, I see the
pain points of migrating config formats being brought up again, so it would
be great to get our Log4j 1 config support in this release, but that
depends on timing, too (we could always RERO and add it to the next release
if nobody has time to finish that feature).

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
For Log4j 1 config support, we need to go through the Log4j 1 appenders and
see how to map them to Log4j 2 appenders, or reimplement in Log4j 2 if not
possible to map. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1523

(Layouts are already done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1522
)

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Ralph, you can add yourself as a reviewer on GitHub by commenting on a line
in the diff. It should offer you the ability to start a review then.

Posted by Apache <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
JIRA issue for Log4j 1.x property substitution:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1792

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
About LOG4J2-1648, let's keep it open for now. Not sure if the extension point has been documented.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
And what about LOG4J2-1648
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1648> ?

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
What is left to do on LOG4J2-1648
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1648> ? Only documentation?

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer

*Magine TV*
mikael.staldal@magine.com

email.

Re: Remaining tasks for a 2.8 release

Posted by Mikael Ståldal <mi...@magine.com>.
Maybe Matt can describe how he got added as reviewer? I cannot test it
myself since GitHub forbids review of your own PR:s.

--
[image: MagineTV]

*Mikael Ståldal*
Senior software developer