Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/03 08:05:57 UTC

Feedback on wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuiltInLanguageBasedOrderingDERBY-1478

Hi,

I have created a wiki page for DERBY-1478 : Add built in language based
ordering and like processing to Derby

The wiki page is located at
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuiltInLanguageBasedOrderingDERBY-1478 and
it includes the current design proposal along with line items. If anyone has
any comments, please let me know.

thanks,
Mamta

Re: Feedback on wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuiltInLanguageBasedOrderingDERBY-1478

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Rick, Dan had also brought up this point. Dan's comment from *
http://www.nabble.com/Collation-feature-discussion-p9526316.html*
"This approach means that CHAR(varchar_col, 20) behaves differently to CAST
(varchar_col AS CHAR(20)). Not sure if that's good or bad, but they might be
implemented today using the same code path. "

I think what you are proposing will be easier to implement and easier to
explain to the users and fits in the SQL spec model. I wasn't trying to
solve any paritcular scenario but was just trying to make CHAR work like
TRIM when a character string type was it's first parameter. If no objections
by the end of the day, then I will go ahead and change the wiki page for
CHAR/VARCHAR functions to have the same collation as current schema's
character set no matter what kind of parameter is passed to it.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Mamta,

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your kind words, Narayanan. Truly appreciate it.

Mamta

Posted by V Narayanan <V....@Sun.COM>.