Posted to dev@community.apache.org by jakub <ja...@ubilix.com> on 2010/01/14 19:51:09 UTC

Mentoring Programm

Hello,

I read about the Mentoring Programm on apache.org. So i want to join it
but i don't know wich project to join. I got some basic skills in Java,
C/C++ and Ruby. Therefore I'm interested in programming in these
languages.

Regards,

Jakub Werner

Re: Mentoring Programm

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On 14.01.2010 Luciano Resende wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM, jakub <ja...@ubilix.com> wrote:
> > but i don't know wich project to join. I got some basic skills in Java,
> > C/C++ and Ruby. Therefore I'm interested in programming in these
> > languages.
>
> I'd recommend that you at least browse around the Apache Projects to
> at least identify an area that interests you

You could also start by looking at projects you are using already: Think of
features you would love to have and are able to implement, consider fixing bugs
that apply to your use cases. If you have a need for a fresh release consider
looking into the JIRA (or bugzilla) of that project and search for issues that
are blocking the next release...

Which Apache projects are you using?

Isabel

Re: Mentoring Programm

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:51 AM, jakub <ja...@ubilix.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read about the Mentoring Programm on apache.org. So i want to join it
> but i don't know wich project to join. I got some basic skills in Java,
> C/C++ and Ruby. Therefore I'm interested in programming in these
> languages.

I'd recommend that you at least browse around the Apache Projects to
at least identify an area that interests you (e.g Lucene if you like
search, Tuscany, ServiceMix, Camel, etc if you like SOA stuff, etc)...
Once you have identified it, we could try to arrange a technical
mentor from that project, or help you discover tasks that could get
you started. The following resources might also be useful [1] [2].

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
[2] http://tuscany.apache.org/working-in-open-source.html

--
Luciano Resende