Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2006/08/25 03:32:23 UTC

Using 3rd party GPL and LGPL code

Hi everyone.

What’s the go with bundling 3rd party GPL code with Apache projects?
Not possible?  I ask because I’m thinking about implementing the SVG
Tiny 1.2 audio/video elements for Batik and the GPLed MediaFrame[1]
library is an implementation of MPEG4 that would be nifty to use.
Cortado[2] is a Theora implementation, also GPL.

Also, some audio libraries like JOrbis[3] and JLayer[4] are LGPL.  Are
they ok to use?

Thanks,

Cameron

[1] http://mediaframe.org/
[2] http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/
[3] http://www.jcraft.com/jorbis/
[4] http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/javalayer.html

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: Re: Using 3rd party GPL and LGPL code

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 8/25/06, Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> .../me laments stupid licence incompatibilities..

Dunno if this applies to your problem, but you can work around this by
not distributing the LGPLed stuff with the ASF project downloads,
instead requiring users to download it separately, to make them aware
of the license differences.

If you can find or design an ASF-licensed interface to the LGPLed
packages you need, this could be an option.

-Bertrand

Re: Using 3rd party GPL and LGPL code

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki:
> So, given this info, MediaFrame and Cortado are off-limits.

I had a feeling they might be.

> JOrbis could be used indirectly through the Java Sound API but you
> cannot bundle it with Batik. The same applies to JLayer if you use it
> together with that Mpeg audio SPI plug-in through the Java Sound API.
> The good thing about those standardized APIs is that they shield you
> from certain legal aspects. Still, redistribution is not possible and
> the user might have to do something in his environment to make it
> work. The whole thing won't work out-of-the-box.

How annoying!  I don’t really have time to implement codecs myself.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Both licenses are generally not to be used in projects inside the ASF
because they are both not compatible with the ALv2. Although from the
ASF's point of view [1] GPL'ed software can use ALv2 licensed software,
to other direction is not possible due to the viral aspects of the GPL.
The LGPL is less affected but still has some of these problems.

There's a draft policy document [2] by the VP legal affairs (Cliff
Schmidt) which lists the approved and forbidden licenses. Although the
document is not strictly official, yet, it applies nonetheless already
because it is endorsed by the ASF board.

You will see that for the LGPL there are certain things that can be done
to use such a package [3] but I guess in many cases this is not
practical.

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
[3] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#options

So, given this info, MediaFrame and Cortado are off-limits. JOrbis could
be used indirectly through the Java Sound API but you cannot bundle it
with Batik. The same applies to JLayer if you use it together with that
Mpeg audio SPI plug-in through the Java Sound API. The good thing about
those standardized APIs is that they shield you from certain legal
aspects. Still, redistribution is not possible and the user might have
to do something in his environment to make it work. The whole thing
won't work out-of-the-box.

Not good news, I know.

On 25.08.2006 03:32:23 Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> What’s the go with bundling 3rd party GPL code with Apache projects?
> Not possible?  I ask because I’m thinking about implementing the SVG
> Tiny 1.2 audio/video elements for Batik and the GPLed MediaFrame[1]
> library is an implementation of MPEG4 that would be nifty to use.
> Cortado[2] is a Theora implementation, also GPL.
>
> Also, some audio libraries like JOrbis[3] and JLayer[4] are LGPL.  Are
> they ok to use?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
>
> [1] http://mediaframe.org/