Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Thib Guicherd-Callin <th...@cs.stanford.edu> on 2015/01/07 02:03:13 UTC

What all is in the standalone JAR?

Hi folks,

The standalone JAR (pdfbox-app-1.8.8.jar) looks tantalizingly like the
union of all the various components that make up PDFBox, but apparently
not. What classes does and doesn't it contain, exactly?

Evidently, it contains all the class files from fontbox-1.8.8.jar,
jempbox-1.8.8.jar and pdfbox-1.8.8.jar, but none of the class files from
xmpbox-1.8.8.jar or preflight-1.8.8.jar. Is that correct?

I was able to verify that it also contains all the class files from
Commons Logging 1.1.3 (the longtime stable version prior to 1.2). Is
that correct?

Then I got lost with ICU4J. Obviously it contains tons of ICU4J class
files, but the list of class file names differs quite a lot from recent
ICU4J JARs. (I tried from 54.1.1 to 51.2.) The data files under
com/ibm/icu/impl/data/icudt38b/ could imply this is from ICU4J 3.8 or
3.8.1, and while a much better match, it's still slightly different.
What version is included in there? (As a side question, I'm no proponent
of trying to stay at the bleeding edge of dependencies, but if it's
really an ICU4J version from 2007, are there any plans to upgrade the
version of ICU4J included in the standalone JAR?)

Basically same question with Bouncy Castle. I went back to 1.46 and the
number of difference in class file names goes as I went back in Bouncy
Castle history but still quite a lot of differences. What version is in
there? (And if it's a really old version, are there any plans to upgrade
the version included in the standalone JAR?)

Are there other bundles of class files in the standalone JAR that I
didn't notice? (I was looking at the Dependencies page for clues.)

Thanks,

Thib

Re: What all is in the standalone JAR?

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi Thib,

> Thib Guicherd-Callin <th...@cs.stanford.edu> hat am 7. Januar 2015 um 02:03
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi folks,
>
> The standalone JAR (pdfbox-app-1.8.8.jar) looks tantalizingly like the
> union of all the various components that make up PDFBox, but apparently
> not. What classes does and doesn't it contain, exactly?
The standalone jar contains all stuff which is needed to run pdfbox standalone

> Evidently, it contains all the class files from fontbox-1.8.8.jar,
> jempbox-1.8.8.jar and pdfbox-1.8.8.jar, but none of the class files from
> xmpbox-1.8.8.jar or preflight-1.8.8.jar. Is that correct?
There is another standalone jar for the preflight stuff.

> I was able to verify that it also contains all the class files from
> Commons Logging 1.1.3 (the longtime stable version prior to 1.2). Is
> that correct?
>
> Then I got lost with ICU4J. Obviously it contains tons of ICU4J class
> files, but the list of class file names differs quite a lot from recent
> ICU4J JARs. (I tried from 54.1.1 to 51.2.) The data files under
> com/ibm/icu/impl/data/icudt38b/ could imply this is from ICU4J 3.8 or
> 3.8.1, and while a much better match, it's still slightly different.
> What version is included in there? (As a side question, I'm no proponent
> of trying to stay at the bleeding edge of dependencies, but if it's
> really an ICU4J version from 2007, are there any plans to upgrade the
> version of ICU4J included in the standalone JAR?)
ICU4J won't be part of the next major release of PDFBox anymore.

> Basically same question with Bouncy Castle. I went back to 1.46 and the
> number of difference in class file names goes as I went back in Bouncy
> Castle history but still quite a lot of differences. What version is in
> there? (And if it's a really old version, are there any plans to upgrade
> the version included in the standalone JAR?)
It seems to be 1.44 for PDFBox 1.8.8, the current trunk was updated to 1.51

Especially BC can't be updated that easy, as there are some API-changes
from time to time so that we can't just replace the used version when
releasing a bugfix release of PDFBox.

> Are there other bundles of class files in the standalone JAR that I
> didn't notice? (I was looking at the Dependencies page for clues.)
Our documentation isn't really complete, but we are working on that.

For now you may have a look at the corresponding pom files, where all
dependencies are defined including the version.

> Thanks,
>
> Thib

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler