Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Orr <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/17 11:23:15 UTC

Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Hi,

There is a user property "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_PROTOCOLS"
that you can use to provide the list of permitted SSL protocols when
connecting to a websocket with WsWebSocketContainer.  I was expecting
that there would be a similar property to allow you to set the list of
permitted SSL cipher suites as well.

I've checked the code (for version 7.0.73, and also 9.0.0.M15) and
there doesn't seem to be any mention of such an option.  I can see it
calling SSLEngine.setEnabledProtocols() but not
SSLEngine.setEnabledCipherSuites().

Is there a particular reason why there is no
"org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_CIPHER_SUITES" property, or is it
simply an oversight?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

Michael

Re: Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Posted by Michael Orr <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 17 January 2017 at 13:39, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 17/01/2017 11:23, Michael Orr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a user property "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_PROTOCOLS"
>> that you can use to provide the list of permitted SSL protocols when
>> connecting to a websocket with WsWebSocketContainer.  I was expecting
>> that there would be a similar property to allow you to set the list of
>> permitted SSL cipher suites as well.
>>
>> I've checked the code (for version 7.0.73, and also 9.0.0.M15) and
>> there doesn't seem to be any mention of such an option.  I can see it
>> calling SSLEngine.setEnabledProtocols() but not
>> SSLEngine.setEnabledCipherSuites().
>>
>> Is there a particular reason why there is no
>> "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_CIPHER_SUITES" property, or is it
>> simply an oversight?
>
> No reason I can think of. Patches welcome :)
>
> Mark
>

>> Thanks, and keep up the great work!
>>
>> Michael

I'll see what I can do!

Thanks for your fast response.

Michael

Re: [OT] Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [OT] Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 1/17/17 8:39 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 17/01/2017 11:23, Michael Orr wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There is a user property
>>> "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_PROTOCOLS" that you can use to
>>> provide the list of permitted SSL protocols when connecting to a
>>> websocket with WsWebSocketContainer.  I was expecting that there
>>> would be a similar property to allow you to set the list of
>>> permitted SSL cipher suites as well.
>>>
>>> I've checked the code (for version 7.0.73, and also 9.0.0.M15)
>>> and there doesn't seem to be any mention of such an option.  I
>>> can see it calling SSLEngine.setEnabledProtocols() but not
>>> SSLEngine.setEnabledCipherSuites().
>>>
>>> Is there a particular reason why there is no
>>> "org.apache.tomcat.websocket.SSL_CIPHER_SUITES" property, or is
>>> it simply an oversight?
>
>> No reason I can think of. Patches welcome :)
>
> I'm curious: since the existing <Connector> (possibly) contains a TLS
> configuration, why does Websocket specifically require a separate
> configuration?

This is for the WebSocket client, not the server.

Mark

Re: [OT] Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Ability to set cipher suites for websocket connections

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.