Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Bonnie Kim <bo...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/17 22:12:35 UTC

New Volunteer! Bonnie Kim

Hello!

My name is Bonnie and I'm a recent graduate from UC Berkeley. I'm new to
Apache OpenOffice, so I wanted to give a little introduction of myself
before we begin.

I studied English as an undergrad, and completed an honors thesis devoted
to sci-fi author Isaac Asimov. My primary interest was in the literary
figure of the robot, and why it continues to grip us today, as a legend if
not as a reality.

I'm interested in OpenOffice because I'm excited to begin my career as a
technical writer, and I wanted to gain some experience before I began as a
professional. Having come from a strong academic background, I still want
to challenge myself by continuing to learn new things, although to be
honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer variety of technological fields
that are out there.

Anyways, I hope we'll get along very well! And I'll shoot along a couple of
questions here and there if that's alright.

Thanks, everyone!

Bonnie

--
Bonnie Kim
University of California, Berkeley

Re: New Volunteer! Bonnie Kim

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Bonnie Kim <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My name is Bonnie and I'm a recent graduate from UC Berkeley. I'm new to
> Apache OpenOffice, so I wanted to give a little introduction of myself
> before we begin.
>
> I studied English as an undergrad, and completed an honors thesis devoted
> to sci-fi author Isaac Asimov. My primary interest was in the literary
> figure of the robot, and why it continues to grip us today, as a legend if
> not as a reality.
>
> I'm interested in OpenOffice because I'm excited to begin my career as a
> technical writer, and I wanted to gain some experience before I began as a
> professional. Having come from a strong academic background, I still want
> to challenge myself by continuing to learn new things, although to be
> honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer variety of technological fields
> that are out there.
>
> Anyways, I hope we'll get along very well! And I'll shoot along a couple of
> questions here and there if that's alright.
>
> Thanks, everyone!
>
> Bonnie
>
> --
> Bonnie Kim
> University of California, Berkeley
> English, B. A.
> bonniekim@berkeley.edu
> (510) 908-0479

Welcome Bonnie!

We can always use more technical writers. Right now, there are two primary
areas where your contribution would be valuable: (1) a new set of User
Guides (coordinated through the documentation mailing list, using MediaWiki
as the publishing platform); and (2) the actual OpenOffice internal help
files.

If you're interested in working on User Guides, you could start here:
http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/

and, I would suggest you subscribe to the documentation mailing list -- see
the mailing list page:

If you want to get into something "more challenging" using the XML files of
the internal Help, please see:

http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/online_help/

and subscribe to this developer list.

In any case, we are here to make your experience successful. Please do not
hesitate to ask any questions. Thanks for volunteering.

MzK

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged
 to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
                             -- "Following the Equator", Mark Twain