Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2016/02/22 22:10:38 UTC

Cassandra Calcite integration

Hi all,

For those not familiar, Apache Calcite is a data management framework that
enables storage-agnostic SQL query processing. The practical implications
are that by writing a relatively small amount of code, Calcite can execute
a large subset of SQL queries against different backend databases.

Over the past couple weeks I wrote a Cassandra adapter for Calcite. By just
pointing Calcite at a Cassandra installation, you can execute SQL queries
over the data stored in your Cassandra tables (including joins).

These queries will not necessarily be efficient as it entirely depends on
how your data is modelled in the underlying CQL tables. There's a lot of
work to be done, but I'm hoping this will be helpful to those who want to
do a bit of exploration of their data without writing any code.

I wrote a blog post here that provides more details:
http://michael.mior.ca/blog/calcite-cassandra-adapter/

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior