Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/04 07:36:37 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons Lang 3.0 Beta released

On behalf of the Apache Commons Lang contributors, I would like to
announce that we have released a 3.0-beta of Commons Lang.

Lang is now Java 5 based.  We've generified the API, moved certain
APIs to support varargs and thrown out any features that are now
supported by Java itself.  We've removed the deprecated parts of the
API and have also removed some features that were deemed weak or
unnecessary.

All of this means that Lang 3.0 is not backwards compatible with the
2.x versions.  To that end we have changed the package name, allowing
Lang 3.0 to sit side-by-side with your previous version of Lang
without any bad side effects.  The new package name is the exciting
and original 'org.apache.commons.lang3'.  In general migrating should
be a simple search and replace.

There are also, as you'd expect, many new features, enhancements and bugfixes.

You can find out more on the Commons Lang website, where you can
download the beta or browse the Javadoc:

  # http://commons.apache.org/lang/upgradeto3_0.html
  # http://commons.apache.org/lang/download_lang.cgi
  # http://commons.apache.org/lang/api-3.0-beta/index.html

We encourage you to give the new version a try and send us your
feedback, ideas or suggestions.  Feel free to subscribe to either the
user or developer mailing lists, or to create issues in the issue
tracker:

  # http://commons.apache.org/lang/mail-lists.html
  # http://commons.apache.org/lang/issue-tracking.html

Lastly - a hearty thank you to the many Java developers who have
contributed to Commons Lang over the last 8 years.  It is very much a
community built project.

Hen

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons Lang 3.0 Beta released

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Congratulations to everyone on this release. Guava, you have some
competition ;-)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.