Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mick Lysejko <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/07 00:47:30 UTC

server side includes, tomcat and jsp files

Hi folks,

I have installed apache 1.3.17 and tomcat 1.3.3 and it all works fine.
However, I wish to do server side includes in my jsp files and this does not
work.  eg. <!-- #include virtual="...." -->

I have tried the apache directive:
adhandler server-parse .jsp

in httpd.conf. Here it stops my jsp pages getting parsed and I got server
errors (400 I think).

I then tried adding it to apache-tomcat.conf
-- here it just gets over writen....

Then I tried to put it in tomcat.conf
-- here it seems to be totaly ignored.

Does anyone have any Ideas. any help welcome  :)

Thank you

Mick.

RE: server side includes, tomcat and jsp files

Posted by Ross Dyson <rd...@reef.com>.
Where did you get this syntax from?
<!-- #include virtual="...." -->

jsp has 2 sorts of includes, compile time and run time.
from the jsp 1.1 spec document:
TABLE 2-1 Summary of Include Mechanisms in JSP 1.1
Syntax What Phase Spec Object Description Section
<%@ include file=... %> directive translation-time virtual static Content is
parsed by
JSP container.
2.7.6
<jsp:include page= /> action request-time virtual static
and
dynamic
Content is not parsed; it
is included in place.
2.13.4

Looks bad with no formatting, but you can figure it out :-)
Ross.