Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by "Zhao, Patric" <pa...@intel.com> on 2019/08/15 05:02:55 UTC

new website (RE: CI and PRs)

Hi Aaron,

Recently, we are working on improving the documents of CPU backend based on the current website.

I saw there're several PRs to update the new website and it's really great.

Thus, I'd like to know when the new website will online.
If it's very near, we will switch our works to the new website.

Thanks,

--Patric

Re: new website (RE: CI and PRs)

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aaron,

wrt the Dockerfile situation. What you are saying is right, but my proposal
is the following:

Instead of having a fat Dockerfile like

---
FROM ubuntu:16
RUN apt update
---

You instead run that fat Dockerfile locally on your laptop and push it to
"aaronmarkham:elephantmaster9000"

Then, you update the above Dockerfile to the following:

---
FROM aaronmarkham:elephantmaster9000
---

Now, it will only download the prebuilt Dockerfile from your own repo. Of
course, this is just a temporary solution to allow fast iteration, but it
greatly speeds up your development. Once you're done with developing and
the PR is no longer WIP, you copy the fat Dockerfile content back and
remove the reference to your own repo.

Wrt the website. What's the issue with going to
http://jenkins.mxnet-ci.amazon-ml.com/job/mxnet-validation/job/clang/job/mkldnn-v1.0/
(as
an example) and triggering the job? Jenkins will automatically make sure
that it checks out the appropriate branch etc. A job is always scoped to a
single git-commit. Thus, if you're trying to build multiple versions, you
trigger each job individually. If you need some kind of parent-job, you
kick off the parent-job that does it's stuff, kicks off all the branch-jobs
and then continues with its flow to consume whatever the branch-jobs
created. I hope I described it in an understandable fashion.

The dev account doesn't have access to S3. It's purposefully restricted
since it's non-productive system where we don't audit access that closely
and thus try to reduce the blast radius by limiting slave permissions.
Sheng is owning the S3 bucket.

I'm not sure about the SCM stuff, but lets chat offline about it since it
seems to be a more complicated issue.

-Marco

Re: new website (RE: CI and PRs)

Posted by Aaron Markham <aa...@gmail.com>.