Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dejan Jovanovic <jo...@psychiatry.wustl.edu> on 2007/12/21 22:26:55 UTC

Problem starting/stoping spamassasin

Hello,

sorry for posting a similar question (saw a post like this, but I did not
see a solution that I can understand).
I have just inherited this configuration and was not part of the
installation process and that is why I cannot find a solution.

The server where the spamassasin is running is just a mail proxy. It was
running just fine up until few days ago.
At the moment, I have 13389 email messages in the
/var/spool/postfix/active/ folder and that number is growing.

In the past (since the person who configured this left) I would solve this
by executing

# spamassasin stop
# spamassasin start.

However, now I am getting this message when I try to stop the spamassasin

# spamassassin stop
[17194] warn: archive-iterator: unable to open status: No such file or
directory

Now, I think 2 relevant updates from crontab are

/usr/bin/yum -y -e 0 update
/usr/bin/sa-update --gpgkey D1C035168C1EBC08464946DA258CDB3ABDE9DC10
--channel saupdates.openprotect.com --channel updates.spamassassin.org

So seems like what had happened is that some libraries have been updated
but now I cannot find which ones. It looks to me that Perl have been
updated but to this point I am still trying to find where the problem is.

If anyone knows some solution to this or at least a pointer on how to solve
this it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Dejan

Re: Problem starting/stoping spamassasin

Posted by Dejan Jovanovic <jo...@psychiatry.wustl.edu>.
All of you are correct of course.

First of all I misspelled the spamassassin as 'spamassasin' but also, it
was a home built script.

Once I did

service spamassassin stop

and then

service spamassassin start

everything worked like a charm, and number of active mail is now getting
smaller.
Thanks a lot

Posted by Bart Schaefer <ba...@gmail.com>.
On RedHat systems, at least, the init.d script that runs spamd is
named "spamassassin".  So possibly what was meant here was

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 03:26:55PM -0600, Dejan Jovanovic wrote:
> # spamassasin stop
> # spamassasin start.
>
> However, now I am getting this message when I try to stop the spamassasin
>
> # spamassassin stop
> [17194] warn: archive-iterator: unable to open status: No such file or
> directory

"spamassassin" is a script that filters mail.  It does not start or stop a
service.  Perhaps you want /etc/init.d/spamassassin, or "service
spamassassin", or whatever is appropriate for your OS.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"... now a branch instruction is like bringing a case of beer to the