Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> on 2008/08/20 17:07:41 UTC

[VOTE] Formalise commit-then-review for java/

Hi javaroos,

I'd like to get a vote on doing formal reviews for everything under
qpid/java that works like this (what we shall call the RG1 process as
I cut n paste this from his mail):

1) work on issue and commit changes
2) mail or IM someone asking if he would mind reviewing it
3) assign issue to person doing review and move on until issue is
either reopened by reviewer or resolved (or whatever state comes next)
4) run jira report regularly of issues in "pending review" state with
no activity for 5 days. For those issues go back to step (2) with
alternative reviewer if necessary.

if there's consensus around this, I'd ideally like to start this on
Monday, making this Friday our last big group slog.

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt

Re: [VOTE] Formalise commit-then-review for java/

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2008/8/20 Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>:

> I'd like to get a vote on doing formal reviews for everything under
> qpid/java that works like this (what we shall call the RG1 process as
> I cut n paste this from his mail):

+1

The paragon of processes.

RG

[RESULT][VOTE] Formalise commit-then-review for java/

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi javaroos,
>
> I'd like to get a vote on doing formal reviews for everything under
> qpid/java that works like this (what we shall call the RG1 process as
> I cut n paste this from his mail):
>
> 1) work on issue and commit changes
> 2) mail or IM someone asking if he would mind reviewing it
> 3) assign issue to person doing review and move on until issue is
> either reopened by reviewer or resolved (or whatever state comes next)
> 4) run jira report regularly of issues in "pending review" state with
> no activity for 5 days. For those issues go back to step (2) with
> alternative reviewer if necessary.
>
> if there's consensus around this, I'd ideally like to start this on
> Monday, making this Friday our last big group slog.

There were:

5 +1s
0 0's
0 -1's

from:
Arnaud Simon
Rajith Attapattu
Robert Greig
Marnie McCormack
Martin Ritchie

so I'm closing it as passed. If you commit anything under java/
without a Jira that goes into a to-be-reviewed state there will be no
cookies for anyone.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1.
For large/complex code changes I think its best to open a JIRA and start a
discussion by posting a patch.
But for 90% of the commits I think the above process makes sense.

Regards,

Rajith

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Arnaud Simon <as...@redhat.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 16:07 +0100, Aidan Skinner wrote:
> > Hi javaroos,
> >
> > I'd like to get a vote on doing formal reviews for everything under
> > qpid/java that works like this (what we shall call the RG1 process as
> > I cut n paste this from his mail):
> >
> > 1) work on issue and commit changes
> > 2) mail or IM someone asking if he would mind reviewing it
> > 3) assign issue to person doing review and move on until issue is
> > either reopened by reviewer or resolved (or whatever state comes next)
> > 4) run jira report regularly of issues in "pending review" state with
> > no activity for 5 days. For those issues go back to step (2) with
> > alternative reviewer if necessary.
> >
> > if there's consensus around this, I'd ideally like to start this on
> > Monday, making this Friday our last big group slog.
> >
> > - Aidan

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: [VOTE] Formalise commit-then-review for java/

Posted by Arnaud Simon <as...@redhat.com>.
+1

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2008/8/21 Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> +1
>
> On 8/20/08, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Aidan Skinner <ai...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi javaroos,
>> >
>> > I'd like to get a vote on doing formal reviews for everything under
>> > qpid/java that works like this (what we shall call the RG1 process as
>> > I cut n paste this from his mail):
>>
>> I see this as a vote for the people actually working on the project,
>> not so much for the mentors.  So I'm not going to vote.  I'm neutral
>> on this stuff anyways.
>>
>> Yoav

+1 I'm happy to have a more defined process.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: [VOTE] Formalise commit-then-review for java/

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,