Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net> on 2012/07/17 20:51:52 UTC

AOO-LibreOffice comparison?

Can anyone point me at up-to-date comparisons of AOO & LibreOffice? Thanks.

Re: AOO-LibreOffice comparison?

Posted by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net>.
On 2012-07-17 10:03 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> ________________________________
>> On 2012-07-17 9:01 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>> Most of us simply don't run LibreOffice
>> That seems unfortunate, why wouldn't AOO developers want to keep up to
>> date with their main competition?
>
> "Competition" among free software is somewhat of a non-concept.

I work mainly with MySQL. Competition has always been a concept.

> Technically,
> MS-office is also our competitor.
Sure.

>> Yes obviously that's a possibility. I was hoping for a shortcut, and for
>> info that transcends my experience. Evidently it's not going to happen here.
>>
> If it serves your purpose, the SVG drawing feature seems to be well
> received by our users but in general in AOO we are focusing more on making
> the product really stable and well behaved on all supported platforms rather
> than on adding new features.

Thanks.

PB

-----

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
________________________________

>On 2012-07-17 9:01 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>>
>> Most of us simply don't run LibreOffice
>That seems unfortunate, why wouldn't AOO developers want to keep up to
>date with their main competition?

"Competition" among free software is somewhat of a non-concept. Technically,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/18/12 4:11 AM, Peter Brawley wrote:
> On 2012-07-17 9:01 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Hi Peter;
>>
>> I am going to be honest with you. Some people like to make asses of
>> themselves inpublic by posting comparisons of software they develop
>> against software that they have never tried (Hi Michael!).
> ?!
>>
>> Most of us simply don't run LibreOffice
> That seems unfortunate, why wouldn't AOO developers want to keep up to
> date with their main competition?

why do you think that, we don't see them as our main competitor. Why
should we? They are based on the same code base, they rebase currently
to our latest code and they are constantly merging bug fixes and in the
future features as well from AOO into their code. They also do good work
and it would be great if we could combine our efforts.

We would be happy to work with the developers on the same code base
directly and invite every single individual developer to think about it.
If you want to reach most people with your development work, you should
join and start with AOO as the common base. The payment for open source
developers is fun in the project, and the wide usage of their work. Both
can you find here in our project and you can have influence on it, you
can help to drive the project and the success.

A lot of work not only for developers, we can benefit from marketing
people, translators, testers, documentation authors, .... something to
do for everybody who is interested to work in such a huge open source
project.

Juergen

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
Peter, if you do create a feature comparison, I would be interested in
seeing what you create.

I use both, and to some extent it is related to a particular feature
that I need at the moment, or a bug that I want to avoid at the moment.
As an example, on one computer at an off-site location, I ended up
installing both AOO and LO. Ended up leaving LO because it supported
writing docx and the AO version that I had did not support writing DOCX
files. Unsure what was happening with that since I thought that they
both supported it but I was not sufficiently interested to track out
what was happening.

I expect that maintaining the list might be a lot of work, however.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: AOO-LibreOffice comparison?

Posted by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter;

I am going to be honest with you. Some people like to make asses of
themselves inpublic by posting comparisons of software they develop
against software that they have never tried (Hi Michael!).

Most of us simply don't run LibreOffice and it would not be honest to say

Posted by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<pe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Can anyone point me at up-to-date comparisons of AOO & LibreOffice? Thanks.

Peter,

We don't have such a review here.  Writing reviews of our product is